I'll add my experience to the mix for a different perspective. I went to school year-round and graduated from law school in 2 years, and when I graduated I didn't have a job waiting for me. I was a BARBRI rep so I got the course for free and studied nonstop from graduation until the bar exam - a 3 day exam. (I'm from California.) I lived with my father while I studied, who is also an attorney, so when I wasn't studying on my own, practically every conversation with my father was an impromptu verbal quiz where I had to explain different legal concepts to his satisfaction. After taking the bar I worked for my father's law office, who was a general practitioner, so I had the opportunity to experience both criminal and civil law, and I followed him to court and I helped out in the office.

Without knowing whether or not I had passed the bar, I really wasn't interested in finding a job until after I knew for sure I had passed. People who I knew that had a job out of law school were told their continued employment depended on them passing the bar and I didn't want to be in that position in case I didn't pass. When I passed, I continued working for my father for about a year, co-counseled a civil trial with him and my first felony trial and I also made court appearances for him until I was hired by a Public Defender's Office.

From my experience, only about 50% of law students had a job when they graduated and they remained employed while they studied for the bar. It's very unlikely that a law student would take time off before taking the bar because you want everything you learned in the prior 2 to 3 years to be fresh while you still remember it when you take the bar. They may take a week off after the bar, but if it's a student who's already employed, their employer expects them back at work after taking off 3 days for the bar.

Some people become disillusioned with the law, but it's usually after working for at least a couple of years, rarely before they start practicing. I typically see a lot of second and third year students who work at my court as summer externs and while they may be stressed while in school and taking the bar, I've never met anyone stressed out after taking the bar except for the usual anxiety waiting for bar results.