architectural terms

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
Hi all. I'm writing some scenes set in a mansion, which I'm basing on Castle Hill in the Crane Estate of Ipswich, MA. I'll try to post pics. I'm struggling though, because none of my Google searches are helping me with the right terms for the parts of the mansion, particularly these two areas that jut out.

SO15_p_083_004_web.jpg

The ground floor:

ch-first-floor.jpg

6 and 3 are the parts I'm talking about. What do you call those? They're not wings, are they?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"---a Sikh greeting)

I don't see any links at all.

Your photo shows a red brick mansion with a pair of semi-octagonal bays. Off to the right is a wing. To the side of the bays are porches. Why there are two of them and not one in the middle, I do not know, unless this is the back of the mansion. Which is a possibility, because the sort of terrace just outside the mansion is much, much more common to the backs of mansions than it is to the fronts of them.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"---a Sikh greeting)

I don't see any links at all.

Yes, that comment confused me.

Your photo shows a red brick mansion with a pair of semi-octagonal bays.

I did consider the word "bay," but when I looked it up it seemed to refer to space between sections of a building, or to door and window areas. Are you certain it can be used to describe these structures sticking out of the building?

Off to the right is a wing.

Number 8 on the floor plan, right?

To the side of the bays are porches.

Inside of the bays, right? I think they were called "terrace alcoves" on another floor plan I found.

Why there are two of them and not one in the middle, I do not know, unless this is the back of the mansion. Which is a possibility, because the sort of terrace just outside the mansion is much, much more common to the backs of mansions than it is to the fronts of them.

You're absolutely right, that is the back of it.

Thank you so much! I'll go with "bays."

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Bay has several architectural meanings. It can mean the number of windows or the number of spaces between trusses or joists, but your picture shows the other meaning of bay, which is a smallish projection from the main body of the building. These are often semi-octagonal, but are often squared off as well (take a look at photos of Italianate Victorian buildings).

I do not see any numbers, so can't answer what #8 is.

And yes, terrace alcove would be appropriate for the porch-like things between the two bays.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
Ohhh... sorry about that, guys, I'll post the pic again here.

ce7a32d68677a1cc07996e6e5734433a.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Did that come through for you?

TheListener

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm writing some scenes set in a mansion, which I'm basing on Castle Hill in the Crane Estate of Ipswich, MA. I'll try to post pics. I'm struggling though, because none of my Google searches are helping me with the right terms for the parts of the mansion, particularly these two areas that jut out.

SO15_p_083_004_web.jpg

The ground floor:

ch-first-floor.jpg

6 and 3 are the parts I'm talking about. What do you call those? They're not wings, are they?

They are just called octagonal towers and were based on Ham House. You can get more info here. https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ham-house-and-garden Hope this helps you.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Thanks for posting the floor plan. (I love floor plans.) And yes, #8 is the kitchen wing.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal