red poppies in a field

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Bookscan / sales numbers / rude awakening

Threaded View

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid Fuchsia Groan's Avatar
    Bookscan (as viewed via Author Central) records less than half of my sales (as seen on royalty statements). But library and school sales are big in YA, so thatís true of most MG/YA authors.

Hereís an essay by a well-platformed author whose memoir got lots of attention (I read it!) and still sold poorly. And by poorly I mean ďa few thousandĒ (he doesnít specify further).

(ETA: I was just reading the authorís blog, and he specifies he sold 5,000 copies of that memoir in the first few months, a number that shocked him at the time but sounds just fine to him now that heís self-publishing. Honestly, it sounds pretty okay to me, too! Expectations change.)

https://artplusmarketing.com/i-have-...s-8ea5fd99492a

And hereís a useful article about book sales generally, though I think it focuses on fiction. It suggests that sales of less than 5k are not unusual for acclaimed debut literary novels that havenít won a major award.

https://electricliterature.com/every...afraid-to-ask/

Otherwise, just seconding what others are saying here. Many good books donít sell well. It is hard, hard, hard to sell books. As far as comps go, I donít think you necessarily need a mega-bestseller, unless it really feels like the most accurate comparison.
    Last edited by Fuchsia Groan; 05-20-2019 at 06:17 PM.