Toy Story 4

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I'm going to watch this, because I enjoyed the first movie so much (the second and third are great too), but the trailer raised my hopes. And I try not to go into any film with high expectations.

What I want most from #4 is for Woody and Bo Peep to end up happy together. I don't want another #2 ending where Woody decides he's meant to be a toy and be there for a child, so he goes back to Bonnie. Adorable though she is, Bonnie just doesn't have the bond with him that Andy did - heck, Forky is her new favorite. I would love it if Woody decided to stay with Bo Peep and run whatever goes on in the carnival, just like Ken and Barbie are the power couple for Sunnyside.

It would be heartbreaking for Woody to say goodbye to his old friends, but I think that ending would give a sense of setting out on new adventures, whereas if he returns to Bonnie (with or without Bo Peep), that just feels like getting back into the same mindset and comfort zone. And I liked Bo from the start, so I just want to see them be together.

Any other fans, what are your thoughts?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not going to watch Toy Story 4. I saw the first three and by the time of the last one, I was done. There was an ending. I don't need to see the continuing adventures of Woody and Buzz Lightyear as Andy passes from childhood to adulthood.

Not saying this won't be good. I hope it will be. What I'm saying is I don't need any more Toy Stories in my life. It's like the never-ending attempts to breathe life back into the cold corpses of old franchises like Alien, Terminator and Predator. Sometimes it's better to move on than hang on.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I felt like this was a great conclusion to the story. Didn't cry as much as I did at the end of Toy Story 3 but I definitely still cried a lot at this ending.

Anyone else see it yet?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Not saying this won't be good. I hope it will be. What I'm saying is I don't need any more Toy Stories in my life. It's like the never-ending attempts to breathe life back into the cold corpses of old franchises like Alien, Terminator and Predator. Sometimes it's better to move on than hang on.

I'm torn about watching the new Terminator movie for exactly this reason. Judgment Day set the bar high enough that everything after it was a disappointment.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to think that if there was anything truly interesting left to be said about Aliens / Terminators / etc, the people who created the originals would’ve said it awhile ago? I mean, even Ridley Scott can’t find anything new or interesting to say about Aliens.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I watched Toy Story 4 yesterday. I teared up, but the only movie I've ever cried in would be Inside Out. You know, that movie with all the emotions in the girl's head?

Anyways, I thought Toy Story 4 was good, but I didn't care for Woody's choice at the end. It felt out of character for Woody. (Ever since I started taking writing serious, I've been noticing things like that in movies)

On a different note, the movie theater I went to had a life-sized Woody that you could win by entering a raffle. The raffle tickets were only $2, but I don't think I want a person-sized cowboy toy.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Watched it a few weeks ago. I cried so hard. Andy was one thing but...

Anyway, it took a while but I think I understand the ending now.

One of my favorite Toy Story movies.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
The one thing that bugged me more than anything was that Forky came from the garbage, meaning someone ate off the spork before Bonnie decided to play and hug it.

Sorry.:evil

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
Personally I thought it was good but wasn't really needed. I felt the third movie was a perfect way to end the toys' story. It was a good story nonetheless.

One a side note, I feel like they might turn this into a spin-off tv series like Woody and the Lost Toy Seems that might be a route they'd go.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
I liked the ending. I've seen comments elsewhere saying that it was out of character for Woody to abandon a child, because being there for a kid was a toy's highest priority, but I think the movie emphasized that Bonnie wasn't Andy and Bonnie didn't bond with Woody the way Andy did (doesn't make her a bad person, just makes her a different person from Andy). So it would have been depressing if Woody decided to stay with her anyway, like an adult who doesn't have any life other than seeing to their child's needs. And I really wanted Woody to be with someone who would care about him.

That said, it was sad that he had to say goodbye to all his friends (honestly, they decided en masse to remain with Bonnie? Not even one stuck with him?) and that was an emotional moment. But I love happily ever afters, and I think he's got that with Bo.

The only problem was the lack of focus on the toys we all got to know and love. I understand why new dialogue couldn't be written for Potato Head and Slinky, but Rex got, what, two lines? I did like Bunny and Ducky, though, especially when they were describing how to get the keys. And Duke Caboom. So all in all, I enjoyed it.

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the ending. I've seen comments elsewhere saying that it was out of character for Woody to abandon a child, because being there for a kid was a toy's highest priority, but I think the movie emphasized that Bonnie wasn't Andy and Bonnie didn't bond with Woody the way Andy did (doesn't make her a bad person, just makes her a different person from Andy). So it would have been depressing if Woody decided to stay with her anyway, like an adult who doesn't have any life other than seeing to their child's needs. And I really wanted Woody to be with someone who would care about him.

That said, it was sad that he had to say goodbye to all his friends (honestly, they decided en masse to remain with Bonnie? Not even one stuck with him?) and that was an emotional moment. But I love happily ever afters, and I think he's got that with Bo.

The only problem was the lack of focus on the toys we all got to know and love. I understand why new dialogue couldn't be written for Potato Head and Slinky, but Rex got, what, two lines? I did like Bunny and Ducky, though, especially when they were describing how to get the keys. And Duke Caboom. So all in all, I enjoyed it.

I agree wholly. I liked the focus with Woody and Bo but yes it was unfortunate that the others didn't get as much focus

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Building on what you two said, did you think Buzz just felt a bit off? I don't know, he just felt...different?

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Was it because of the "inner voice"? I mean compared to the other movies he wasn't focused on.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Was it because of the "inner voice"? I mean compared to the other movies he wasn't focused on.

Maybe. I could just be going crazy. I don't know, maybe he and the others kind of just felt a bit shoe-horned in to me compared to the other crew I guess.

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
Could be, I'd have to see it again. But I think it was just him not being in as much focus.