• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for beta readers for my Upper MG linked SF Short Story Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I'm looking for 2-3 betas to read my upper Middle Grade linked Science-Fiction short story collection. It is almost 55,000 words.

Here is the blurb:

Twelve-year-old Barney Gile has a secret; he turns into an alligator creature whenever he gets too emotional. Only the inventor he lives with, Mr. Thomas, knows it—and he has a secret of his own, involving his mysterious past.
Unfortunately for Barney, Mr. Thomas’ secret is only revealed once a gun-and-science loving couple starts hunting down Mr. Thomas and him. Now with the help of inventions like a teleporter, an animal translator, and an invisibility machine, Barney is trying to put the couple in jail.

But not all of Barney’s adventures involve the crazy couple. Some of them mean going to different worlds or meeting people who—although he doesn’t realize it at the time—could help Barney stop the couple. People like a clone who thinks he’s a goat and a brave girl that may have a crush on Barney.

Luckily, he has Mr. Thomas to help, but as they go on more and more adventures, Barney realizes something: Mr. Thomas is the closest thing he’s ever had to a friend. Maybe he’s even the father Barney never had, but does Mr. Thomas feel the same way or is Barney just another person he can’t get close to?

Barney and Mr. Thomas is the first collection of three involving Barney and Mr. Thomas. They go on a many physical and emotional adventures throughout the collection.

I need help looking for any problems that may occur in the collection. Be gentle but honest with your critique.

I plan on self-publishing if that helps any.

I can not do a full beta swap, but I will read and critique the first 2,000 words of your book. The only ones I won't read are exotica and historical.

Please PM me if you have any questions or if you are interested. I can either send you the first three stories or you can request the whole thing.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I think I may have a beta reader (still looking for more though). She is a friend of my mom's. I've never met her, but I hear she has written tons of short stories. I think I'll write down (and give to her) what I'm looking for, a blurb of my short story collection, and what I can do for her. Then my mom can give it to her when she sees her friend on Tuesday. So thrilled to have a my first ever beta reader (if she agrees to be it). I'll keep you guys posted on what happens on Tuesday. :snoopy:

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
So, my beta reader said she'd give me some books. At first I was confused, but then she gave me some well-marked books and a magazine on writing. She's letting me borrow them for a bit.

I don't know if beta readers are usually this nice (this is my first time using one), but I'm sure loving her kindness.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I think one beta reader is not enough. Yes, I loved her advice, but I think a second opinion would be wise.

My Upper MG SF is almost 55,000 words.

The blurb is on the 1st post.

I need help looking for any problems that may occur in the collection, particularly about Barney and Mr. Thomas relationship.

Be gentle but honest with your critique.

I plan on self-publishing if that helps any.

I can not do a full beta swap, but I will read and critique the first 2,000 words of your book. The only ones I won't read are exotica and historical.

Please PM me if you have any questions or if you are interested. I can either send you the first three stories or you can request the whole thing.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I definitely agree you should get more beta readers, and especially if a friend of the family (even a writer) is your only beta so far. Betas who are family or friends have difficulty separating that relationship with their duties as a beta reader, and are more likely to go easy on someone, even if it's a subconscious effort. You also want multiple betas so that you can compare notes. Where they agree, you probably need to make a change. Where they disagree, you know it's subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.