KDP barcode

josephperin

Registered
Reaction score
I know that getting your own ISBN is more prudent than using Amazon's. But what about barcode? Is it better to purchase one from Bowker? Can I use the same barcode internationally?What are the limitations of using Amazon's?

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
I have my own ISBNs, but let Amazon and IngramSpark generate the barcodes for the covers. I have encountered no difficulties.

josephperin

Registered
Reaction score
Why would it be more prudent to use a purchased ISBN over Amazon's?

Because you can't use it with other publishers. In my case, I'm trying to get print version in India which Amazon doesn't do. To take it to a non Amazon printer, I'll need to own the ISBN.

- - - Updated - - -

I have my own ISBNs, but let Amazon and IngramSpark generate the barcodes for the covers. I have encountered no difficulties.

Thanks.

Using diff barcodes for diff printing services has not created a problem?

josephperin

Registered
Reaction score
But it does do print books in India, you just have to select "individual rights" instead of "worldwide rights" to select it...

I actually called to ask why no print in India, and they confirmed it. They have 7 total marketplaces, and other countries will need to order from there. Works out to a hefty sum if you're Indian and ordering from the UK or the US.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Off-topic: every time I see someone mention an ISBN, I visually read that as ISDN - which is a telephony term for an Integrated Services Digital Network (TDM-based trunking), and start wondering - why on earth are they talking about telephony in a writing forum? LOL

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
Because you can't use it with other publishers. In my case, I'm trying to get print version in India which Amazon doesn't do. To take it to a non Amazon printer, I'll need to own the ISBN.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks.

Using diff barcodes for diff printing services has not created a problem?

Makes sense.

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
Additionally, while IngramSpark has some traction with indie bookstores, most indies refuse to order KDP, despite the "extended distribution" option. So, if you want to actually land in independent bookstores and libraries, buy an ISBN, distribute to Amazon through KDP, and distribute to everywhere else in the world through Ingram.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Additionally, while IngramSpark has some traction with indie bookstores, most indies refuse to order KDP, despite the "extended distribution" option. So, if you want to actually land in independent bookstores and libraries, buy an ISBN, distribute to Amazon through KDP, and distribute to everywhere else in the world through Ingram.

+1 to this.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You don't need to buy barcodes.

If you plan to use distributors other than Amazon or it is important to you to have the ISBN belong to you as the publisher, buy your own. Otherwise the free one is just fine.