• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Thoughts ?

LUNABLUE

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there. I’m rewriting a chapter following advice that was given on this forum

My question is can I drop a bombshell in the opening line of the book and then say
“But I’m getting ahead of myself, let me catch you up to speed”
Thx in advance for you feedback.
Luna

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with it. Lots of authors use the device.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
A nuke was dropped on New York City and flattened the place. Yeah, you know how it goes, one thing led to another and that was the way it had to go down. Oh! I see you're confused, well, let me catch you up to speed.

Like that? Sure, why not?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I like indianroads example. It's really a bombshell, the voice is interesting, etc.

But - the 'catch you up' better be short and fast: no going back to the building of New York, no spending the whole book moseying along to the big explosion.

LUNABLUE

Registered
Reaction score
Astronautmikedexter, Indianroads and frimble 3, thank you all for your feedback. Very much appreciated.
The book will not mosey through the explosion after the bombshell is dropped, but there is a full chapter devoted to it.

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
I just finished reading The Tie that Binds by Kent Haruf and it begins with the 80-year-old woman chained to a hospital bed and charged with murdering her brother. Then Haruf spends the next 350+ pages going back a century and giving all of the story that led to that point.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Things to think about:

• Is your bombshell going to be a bombshell if we don't know your world or characters? Indianroads' example works only because we know (or think we know) NYC & everything around it and what it would mean to drop a nuke on it.
  • Do you risk the audience agreeing that you've confused us/started in the wrong place? I read one like that just the other day. Narrator: I probably should go back. I've started this in the wrong place. Me: Yes, you did, and this isn't making me appreciate that fact.
  • Are you doing this so that you can drop a hook in the first sentence, then go back to something you find less interesting with the hope of retaining the audience? Audience members see that as a gimmick, and a good first line won't make up for problematic first chapters.
  • Does this trick do more than just give you an opening line? Does it set-up expectations (perhaps false ones, perhaps true ones)? Does it add suspense, rather than taking it away? Think about what the line accomplishes to the greater novel, not just whether you've possibly hooked your audience.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I'm a novice so take my opinions with a healthy dose of salt.

I see en media res as a good suggestion, but prefer to start off just before the poop hits the air conditioning. As in, you have a big event in mind, but rewind your mental image of it a little bit, and start from there. That gives me from a half to a full page to lightly sketch the world, and vaguely introduce the characters. I go back after the event to fill in the details.

From my recent novels and WIP for example.
Departure begins with soldiers chatting at the top of a city wall. Scene character sees something suspicious - a dog - dog turns out to be a robot bomb, which blows up.

Desperation begins with MC standing on an elevator platform. People are coming after them (brief explanation of why). Then the shooting begins.

Damnation (WIP) begins with MC waking up in the early morning. He's in an underground shelter, and feels an earthquake. Things escalate quickly and (as my partner likes to say) a zany adventure ensues.

Starting just before the event gives you time to let the reader understand at least the who, what, and maybe where of the 5 basic questions.

Again though, I don't know what I'm talking about most of the time, so YMMV.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Something mysterious helps as well. Octavia Butler's Kindred begins with her arm missing and she can't explain it to the police and hospital staff who want to blame her husband. The actual cause was even more mysterious. The story starts and ends up back with the hospital scene.

Great book!