Starting a Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Thinking of starting a wiki for random worldbuilding stuff, mostly for myself but ideally something that an audience could peruse through. Any recommendations? I've tried Wikia in the past, and Tiddlywiki, which I like but suits me better for personal notes that stuff anyone will see. Don't need nothin' fancy, and willing to pay $ but preferably free.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
macOS? There's a great local wiki-like app called VooDoo Pad.

Otherwise, you could run MediaWiki locally, or on a server. Lots of hosts have one-click installs for MediaWiki.

This site lets you compare various kinds of wiki apps

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for MediaWiki - actually ser that up for a Helpdesk portal at a company a few years back. Had it up and running within a few hours.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. :D I'm playing around with WikiDot right now, which seems to easy enough as I get over the learning curve. I'm glad I know about MediaWiki if I decide to get a host.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
You actually don't need a host - you can download it and run on your own platform:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Download

Though, admittedly, if you are speaking to a web server as the "host", yeah, a public facing web server would be needed if you wanted it publicly accessible :)

TrinaM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trinamalone.com
Here's another vote for MediaWiki.

Since you mentioned Worldbuilding, I'll throw out another site I recently learned about: https://www.worldanvil.com/

It was designed for gamers, but they've got info for using it for storytellers as well. I think it would be wonderful fun to build a community of fans on there, but I haven't had time to play yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.