I Won Second Place in a Contest with F&SF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Several months ago, my wife and I submitted six entries to F&SF's contest on watering down our favorite stories. Aside from an email requesting my address (since I'd forgotten to include that and was sure it would be used as grounds to disqualify me), I heard nothing.

But today, on a whim, I thought, "Bet the new issue is out. Might as well see who won."

A few minutes later.

"That's MY NAME!!!"

People are going to pick up that magazine in stores across the nation and read MY JOKE!

It might not count as a genuine publishing credit, but I finally got my name in print with a magazine I've been trying to sell stories to for years!

Here's the link if you're interested: https://www.sfsite.com/fsf/2019/competition1905.htm

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I'll count it as a genuine publishing credit! This is great :hooray:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Wow Taylor - that's fantastic. That's really a payoff for all the hard work and everything. Keep enjoying that -

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That joke is hilarious. And I count that as being published, too. :hooray:

Can someone explain this one to me? The rest of them I get.
Original: The Matrix (1999)
Watered-down: The Mehtrix
It's Bill and Ted again, minus Bill, plus now Ted knows kung fu. Turns out there is no spoon.
—Barry Negrin
New York, New York USA

Last edited:

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
That joke is hilarious. And I count that as being published, too. :hooray:

Can someone explain this one to me? The rest of them I get.

“Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure” was Reeves’ first major film role. It’s a hilarious comedy about two dim-witted surfer dudes who go back in time kidnapping historical figures to help them with a history report.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I hope that perked you up. :partyguy: Last time I read one of your posts you were not so happy.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Line from the Matrix where the kid is bending a spoon. The trick to it is, "there is no spoon," if I remember correctly.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I hope that perked you up. :partyguy: Last time I read one of your posts you were not so happy.
It certainly did! A much-needed QUOTE=WriteMinded;10541096]I hope that perked you up. :partyguy: Last time I read one of your posts you were not so happy.[/QUOTE]It certainly did! A much-needed shot of oxytocin. For once, something I wrote stood out on its own merit and rose to the top! I’ll be sure to mention it whenever I submit to them again (as soon as I have a good story).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.