Who here listens to synthwave?

Spaceranger82

Registered
Reaction score
For those not in the know, synthwave is a subgenre of electronic dance music that aims to capture the feel of 1980s electronic music, albeit more in the style of film soundtracks such as Tron and less in the style of pop artists of that decade such as Michael Jackson. Some synthwave artists include Kavinsky, Lazerhawk and Mitch Murder.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Me! My favourite synthwave group is Gunship, but I also like Perturbator, Makeup and Vanity Set, and Carpenter Brut.

Spaceranger82

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of Perturbator, but not the other three. I'll have to check 'em out.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Gunship have two albums - both are belters. Check out "Tech Noir" from their self-titled first album, featuring a voice over from John Carpenter and an awesome Claymation video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nC5TBv3sfU

MU&VS have an enormous back catalogue, but the first album by them I got was 88:88 - I think it's a good introduction to their style.

The best Carpenter Brut album, for me, is Trilogy - awesome soundtrack-type stuff. The whole thing is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY1s9SmrQRE.

Last edited:

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Oh absolutely. The New Retro Wave YouTube channel has lots of good stuff that I just put on shuffle. Music without lyrics (or without a lot of lyrics) is good for writing for me since the words don't become distracting, but the music still has a lot of energy which helps with my flow.