Great stories, can't write

ixorv

Registered
Reaction score
Hello there. I found this website looking for resources to write a novel. I make up stories for my kids, and one day I made up one that I thought would make a really good book (three actually). So... that's how I found out I can't write. I don't mean writers block. Spelling? Grammar? No problem. No, my problem is everything I write tastes like untoasted white bread that sat on the counter overnight.

So if your still awake (I've nodded off twice already writing these few short sentences), that's why I'm here. I am looking for any and all resources to make my writing as interesting as the stories are in person (also any format or milestone tools would be wonderful as I really have very little direction, Google is amazing, but it doesn't answer everything).

Thank you-
-ixorv

Post Script (for the curious). If you're wondering what my in-person delivery is like... I tell the story as fast as I can hitting all the conflicts and major plot points, but stopping to answer any "Now why..." in great (as necessary) detail.
...and yes, I've tried writing like that. It does not work.

TheListener

Registered
Reaction score
I think there is a children's book forum on here. Maybe give that a look. Try Googling 'How to write a novel' or 'How to write children's books'. You will find thousands of self help sites there.

Not sure if this site will help you but give it a try to start with. Every book starts with a premise. See if you can write one that helps you get on your way.
https://www.writermag.com/improve-y...-to-structure-a-premise-for-stronger-stories/

ixorv

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, loved the article.

To be clear though my problem, to use a specific example, is the story I'm trying to write starts with an assassination (also to note, for older kids, not children kids) and ends with the start of a war. It literally goes A story conflict (the assassination), B story conflict (A story mirror), A story resolution (but not really), B story resolution (but not really), A story conflict, B story conflict, A story resolution (division), B story resolution (bonding), A story conflict, B story conflict, A story resolution (but start of the war, so a lead-in to the next story), B story resolution (but a B story character runs off to join the war effort, a second lead-in to the next story)... but I've spent 3 pages describing the tavern where the assassins ate dinner.

If I try to write anything descriptive or world-building it always becomes a trite mush of unimportant details. THAT'S my problem.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
:welcome:

Do you read much?

Not "how to write books" books, but actual successful books like the ones you're trying to write? IME, the best way to pick up the rhythms of written storytelling is to read. And then read. And then read some more. :)

TheListener

Registered
Reaction score
Try outlining your story. There are books and sites to help you with that. I think you need to know where your story starts and where it is going first. Outlining will help.

Maybe you have already done this but my suggestion would be to read every book you can in your genre written by best selling authors and see how they do it. Get a feel for how they describe scenes and emotions.

Post your tavern paragraphs and get some feed back. At least you will know what others think and if you are on the right or wrong track.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com

Do you read much?

Not "how to write books" books, but actual successful books like the ones you're trying to write? IME, the best way to pick up the rhythms of written storytelling is to read. And then read. And then read some more. :)

Hello!

Seconding be Frank here. Read widely -- in your genre, outside your genre, read for pleasure, read for inspiration, and read to understand the structure of story-telling.

ixorv

Registered
Reaction score

Probably really great advice. Used to read all the time, but have only read maybe 5-10 books (for myself) in the last 15 years. Wife/job/kids/etc.

ixorv

Registered
Reaction score
Try outlining your story. There are books and sites to help you with that. I think you need to know where your story starts and where it is going first. Outlining will help.

Definitely not the problem. I've outlined it 2 or 3 times. Told it 6 or 7 times, written it as a four-page summary (nicely circumventing tons of mundane details), 2 pages of notes, a spreadsheet of important details, and 2 maps (for myself, for scale).

Maybe you have already done this but my suggestion would be to read every book you can in your genre written by best selling authors and see how they do it. Get a feel for how they describe scenes and emotions.

I actually have a [fiction] book or two in the house I haven't read, and it's been a long time since I've read fiction, so that's a good start.

Post your tavern paragraphs and get some feed back. At least you will know what others think and if you are on the right or wrong track.

Don't I need 50 posts for that?

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Start by learning to write one good scene. Repeat. String scenes together. Voila!

No one knows how to write when they start, any more than a kid knows how to swim because he's dropped in a pool. You have a journey ahead of you, as you clearly know. But take it a step at a time. No one writes a good book till they learn to write a good scene.

Consider a writing class or two as well. Joining a forum like this one is a fine beginning, but it's not enough. Painters study painting, musicians study music...anyone who's seriously interested in a craft studies it one way or another. There are plenty of writing classes around, including online, but also brick-and-mortar ones in continuing ed programs, libraries, and other venues. This is one of mine you might consider. Learning to write one good scene requires mastering all the same skills it takes to write a novel---but one scene is a manageable goal, whereas a whole novel can seem daunting.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

We have an excellent thread here Learning to Write with Uncle Jim you may want to read

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Welcome!

I'm with be frank and Helix. Don't think about writing for a while, and immerse yourself in reading instead--especially books in the age-group and/or genre you want to write in. If you read a book that you love, read it again--but this time take notes about what you love about it. And if you hate one, take the time to clarify in your mind what it was you hated.

Bonus side effect of this--the best way to turn your kids into readers is for them to see you reading. Trust me on this one. :)

ixorv

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with be frank and Helix. Don't think about writing for a while, and immerse yourself in reading instead--especially books in the age-group and/or genre you want to write in.

Good advice, except I disagree on waiting to write. I can can be an good reader and a bad writer at the same time.

If you read a book that you love, read it again--but this time take notes about what you love about it. And if you hate one, take the time to clarify in your mind what it was you hated.

Excellent idea, and an easy enough task to incorporate with my reading.

TheListener

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you do need 50 posts but by the time you get there, have read some books by authors in you genre, critiqued others work, or just read all you can on here, you probably have done a couple of revisions and may be ready to get some constructive feedback. You'll get there. It just takes time and patience.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting intro, ixorv, and welcome to AW. My first thought was, if you already know your writing doesn't measure up to your vision, you are way ahead of most beginning writers, truly. I agree with the "read" advice, and as you read pay attention to passages that really grab you and ask yourself how the writer did that? What about it engaged you viscerally?

I don't know which passworded forum your previous post referred to so can't see the comment...as it is not one I'm logged in to. But glad you found inspiration already. :)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
That's in Brainstorming Sandbox, password is vista if anyone's curious.

-Derek

Ruby Road

Registered
Reaction score
Website
gheltebridle.wixsite.com
Welcome, ixorv. The fact that you're aware of the problems in your writing is a good start. The story I'm writing is in a post-apocalyptic setting. When I showed the story to my mom she asked me "Why do they have chocolate bars in mad max land?". It was such a glaring issue that it was idiotic. I like your description of 'untoasted white bread'. I've had a similar problem when I use too much description. But yes, everybody here is right when they say read. It pretty much shows you the basic format. It can also help give background knowledge depending on what genre you're writing.