Be Gentle :)

Raven2Delta

Anti-Heroic
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Team :)

Looking forward to getting to know people around here and hopefully for them to get to know me a bit as well.

I'm going out on an emotional limb sharing my work publicly but I am looking forward to sharing. Previously I have only shared my writing with people very close to me. I felt it was time to get some further thoughts and opinions.

I've got a 9th grade education but have worked hard to improve my learning on my own and I am diligent about my writing, though some things still sneak through.

Most of my writing is non fiction and some poetry plus one fictional story. I hope you enjoy my work and I look forward to hearing back from the community as well as providing my own (kind) feedback.

Thank you all in advance,

-Patrick

Reptile

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Patrick, I'm expecting to get a bit of a pasting but the beauty of a group like this is that it isn't a close family member dishing it it out or, even worse, not dishing it.

I'm looking forward to being walloped into shape, or at least to having been walloped into shape.

Some of the teachers in my old school used to beat the living daylights out of us. It won't be that bad.

Actually, I do believe that if you can get the message across just as well, it's better to call a spade a 'manual earth moving device'.

Reciprocating your kind welcome, wishing you well with your postings, and hoping that the earth moves gently.

Raven2Delta

Anti-Heroic
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you sir :)

I am a big fan of positive reinforcement in criticism. I prefer to present a different perspective or possibility to someone, then let them decide if that different perspective would be more appealing to them when they edit or rewrite.

I like to build up strengths in people so that they can cover their weaknesses :)

So if you get any critique from me, it will be along those lines.

I took a pretty bravish step and posted 3 poems over in the poetry section if you'd like a shot at calling a spade a 'ferrous and ligneus device for digging holes' ;)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. I hope you find what you're looking for here. :)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: - R2D - Nice Intro! :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Raven2Delta

Anti-Heroic
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

I'll be posting most of my stuff over in Poetry if you want to take a look.
It may not be good...but it's short!

Raven2Delta

Anti-Heroic
Registered
Reaction score
Well it's been months and I am writing here again to let new people know that my time on these boards has been great.
I've posted a few things and gotten some very good feedback that has helped me improve greatly.

Keep your heads up artists! Keep working and keep improving!

I watched something inspirational this morning and it made me think this:
"I am a writer. I am a writer because I write. I write because I love it. Therefore, I am a writer. There is no other requirement than that."

If you're feeling down or like you're not progressing to where you want to be, remember to just keep doing it. So what if your stories don't have great plots or characters? So what if you take most of your idea's from the influences around you? So what if your story is no good? YOU wrote it. YOU did it. And by writing, you have become a writer. By being vulnerable and open to advice, critique and feedback given to you in the spirit of helping you improve will help you grow. It will, it is scientifically provable :)