Book Cover Opinions Needed!

Richard W. Fairbairn

Registered
Reaction score
I have self published my novel., Beyond the Starport Adventure, and am in a dilemma over the cover design. I asked a friend to design the cover for me and she came up with the design below:

starportsmall.jpg

I like the cover, but the novel in question is an action / adventure / space opera kind of thing and all the competing covers I see reflect the contents, which the cover above does not. As I have faffed around with 3D women (I know...) I designed the cover below. I don't particularly like it but I feel it better represents the book.

My cover designing friend is no longer available to assist with my designs so I'm on my own.

Here's my new design:

20190416-BTSA-Cover-2-e1557053777189.jpg

I'd like a better cover, with a TR7 flying around (yes, a 1970s Triumph TR7) and some spaceships blowing the heck out of Earth. Can't afford it. Instead the sad faced girl wears a 70s t shirt and the image kind of says "its scifi but somehow the 70s).

Opinions welcome!

R

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
The second is better than the first, but the font looks like a homemade job, IMO.

I suggest looking at top-selling sci-fi on Amazon. I particularly liked the font for L Ron Hubbard's Battlefield Earth or MD Cooper's Intrepid Saga. They both show some differentiation between title and author font even though they kept all fonts san serif.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suggest looking at top-selling sci-fi on Amazon. I particularly liked the font for L Ron Hubbard's Battlefield Earth or MD Cooper's Intrepid Saga. They both show some differentiation between title and author font even though they kept all fonts san serif.
I know you are suggesting something very basic, but what a good idea. I hope not to self publish but should I have to, I wouldn't have thought about looking at fonts on best selling covers.

Richard W. Fairbairn

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggests everyone. Had a little tweak and came up with this...

20190506-BTSA-Cover-2-With-New-Font-2-e1557128703216.jpg

"Text effect" version:
Same pic but with some gradient and depth on the text.

20190506-BTSA-Cover-2-With-New-Font-3-e1557145592994.jpg

I thought the font looked a bit better (totally get the comment on the first font!). I'm so glad my cover beats my graphic designer friend's cover. I had high hopes that she'd put together an action scene but I think it was a bit unrealistic. Sadly, she isn't willing to combine my 3D skills with her skills so have to go it alone.

More comments welcome!

Edit: I know theres a black line along the top. I fixed this in a later revision.

Last edited:

Margrave86

Registered
Reaction score
Critique #1: Don't put a trademarked band logo on your cover unless you want to get sued. Make sure all the elements you use are created by yourself or you have the appropriate license to use them.

Critique #2: The title is, if not wrong, grammatically confusing. How about "An Adventure Beyond the Starport" instead? It's still generic (to the point of meaninglessness, honestly--surely every space opera would be an adventure beyond the spaceport?), but at least it flows better.

Critique #3: For a sci-fi font like that, you want a hard metal look with strongly beveled edges. Save the pure white for a simple sans-serif font like Gill Sans (or the nearest open source equivalent). If you want to evoke the '70s, then go to Google Fonts and look for a '70s font. Something like "Pump Demi", but with a commercial use license.

Critique #4: Personally, I think you should keep the pose but rotate her so she's in profile. Maybe try and blend the fire with her hair.

Last edited:

TheListener

Registered
Reaction score
I would drop the 'Adventure' unless it is vital...aren't all sci-fi's in space an adventure anyway of some sort? Add more drop shadow. I think the font will stand out more. Make it pop. I personally like the last cover you posted, the one with the gold lettering. Just lacking a bit of shadow.

Look at your book blurb or synopsis or whatever you have that describes your entire book in a couple of sentences or paragraphs and design a cover that mirrors that. Maybe the cover should reflect the main theme of the book.

Good luck with your book.

TheListener

Registered
Reaction score
I would drop the 'Adventure' unless it is vital...aren't all sci-fi's in space an adventure anyway of some sort? Add more drop shadow. I think the font will stand out more. Make it pop. I personally like the last cover you posted, the one with the gold lettering. Just lacking a bit of shadow.

Look at your book blurb or synopsis or whatever you have that describes your entire book in a couple of sentences or paragraphs and design a cover that mirrors that. Maybe the cover should reflect the main theme of the book.

Good luck with your book.