Magical May - 500 words/day edit/write - all genres welcome

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Because we need magic in our lives. :)

How'd you do in April? Did you smash your goals, or not quite make it? What are your goals for May?

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
April was a tough month. I made most of my goals, I think. Work has been nuts and I had two back-to-back editing jobs on top of it. I also took on a new VA client. And I may be taking on another one.

~Revise/edit/submit short story ~Yes, made it.
~Camp (10k goal) ~Dropped my goal down to 5k. Wrote a total of 2,505 words. I'm happy with that.
~I need to figure out a project, gah ~Figured it out. The Vanishing, Reaper Girl #3
~Oubliette words? ~Nope
~April newsletter ~Yes, all three.

So not too bad, huh?

May goals:

~10k on The Vanishing
~Oubliette words
~Newsletters (5)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Best of luck for May, Saoirse.

My April was a bit meh. I managed a little under 6k in total, which isn't bad, but not as much as I wanted. Hoping for better this month!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Well, I finished an essay yesterday, so if we're counting those words that's 2,700 to add to this month's tally. If all goes well that's the last essay I need to write for a while.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Salutations everyone :hi:
I hope you're all off to a good start for the month.

We'll see what life has in store for me this month. Last week, including those last couple of days of April, I wrote about 4K words. A pleasantly higher word count than I thought I was going to have.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
So over the last couple of days I've rewritten a 3k short, so that's probably around 2000ish new words.

Problem is I have a hard limit of 2750 words for this piece, so I need to get the trimmer out...

NellyParker

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all :)

I took part in camp last month but because of my finals, I had to stop in the middle of it. I had a goal of 10k words and wrote about 5,5k new words for my main project, which is a lot for me, so I'm quite satisfied. As for May, I wrote about 1k words for a side project and I hope to write 10k words with at least 5k for my main project.

Good luck for May :Thumbs:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Welcome NellyParker! Good luck making your goal. (I too couldn't finish Camp. But I managed half my goal so it's all good).

OSG - Good luck with the trimming process.

Zan75 - Awesome wordage!

I've been pecking away at The Vanishing. Last night, 115 words. Today I'm about to start. I hope to top that at least. ;) I did break 5k, so that's cool.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
So I've been down in the editing mines and got about 7,500 words of the WIP novel "polished" to hand in for my coursework. I say "polished" because it's still effectively first draft. I have no idea if these scenes will even be in the final book. So it's a bit of a weird experience to go into edit mode this early. Still, it's done. Time for a celebratory Coke.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Salutations again :hi:

Nelly - Best of luck, let us know how you're doing :)
OSG - Still kicking butt I see, hope you it all comes together for you
Saoirse - Back making progress, well done. Are you all healed up now?

Last week was a bit rough for writing, didn't get as much done as I would have liked. Finished the week with around 1500 words added to my piece. Will try to do better this week.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Last week was better for me, broke the 2k mark. This week isn't looking very good at all, guess we'll see what happens.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
OSG - That would feel a bit weird. ::raises glass of soda:: Cheers!

Zan75 - Thanks. I am not, actually. I'm having issues with my Achilles' tendon again. In June I find out if I re-injured it. :( But PT is going pretty well, at least. Also, 2k is excellent!

I've been working a lot. I wrote yesterday - 828 words - which was the first time this week I've done any writing. Must change this.

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
Whilst I'm late to the May party, I thought that I would join in, hoping that it would spur me on. I'm currently in brutal edit mode, trying to cut my WIP down as much as possible. I'm 181 pages through - out of 536, so there's a LOT more work to be done. I'd like to get to 200 pages by the end of the month (and also hope the total will have come down by a couple of pages too).

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
BlackKnight - Never to late to say hello :) Best of luck with the edits, what's you word count? If I may ask.
Saoirse - Best wishes with the medical stuff, fingers crossed for good news.

Last week was pretty pitiful in the way of progress. I may have had a total of 500 words. This week is looking better, trying to sort out some decisions I need to make about the main character.

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
BlackKnight - Never to late to say hello :) Best of luck with the edits, what's you word count? If I may ask.

Ha, ha, err, yeah, word count, (closes eyes in pained embarrassment)

EXCUSE: When I started, I was only writing for my own enjoyment, I had no preconceived ideas or expectations, I just let the story play out - and that was my problem.

When the first draft was complete, the total was 419,390, yes, that's right, 419,390.

I am currently trimming/culling/massacring adverbs and over-description, I also have a couple of re-writes to do. When I finish it, this version will probably only be for me.

Next, my intention is to remove several characters and sub-plots in the hope that I can get it down to a two-part story length - complete with suitable break point. From the way things are going, I can't see this happening before the end of the year.

I'm also spending odd minutes here and there collating ideas for my next project...

How close are you to your ten thousand words this month?

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
BlackKnight - Welcome! And don't feel bad about 419k. My first serious book was 399k. I rewrote it and revised it and got it down to 121k. I know you can do this. :) Be ruthless.

Zan75 - Hugs. Five hundred words is still progress!

I took on another editing client which will be a long term project. Four books, maybe more. :D As for writing, I've done none. I was going to last night but work took up most of my time. Must correct this.