Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Closing in on the end of the month, everyone! Still a few days left to make progress on those goals!

Didn't get as much done on my goals this week as I would have liked. I spent a fair amount of time on two big and long-overdue projects with my husband: building an enclosure for my vegetable garden (specifically designed to keep out both deer and gray squirrels), and making 20 pounds of Italian sausage. Now that the enclosure is finished, I'll spend today planting, staking, weeding and trimming, and this evening the Hubs and I will finish up the sausage (we still have to make links and package it for freezing). I may observe Memorial Day by relaxing and gloating over my enclosure and a freezer full of homemade goodness, although I should be writing since I might still be able to make that goal.

I finished my third and final book for the month (Great Stories by American Women anthology), so that goal is achieved and I'm well ahead of goal on my short-story reading. It doesn't look like I'll get any of those nature walks accomplished, and I'm stalled out on self-publishing the second book in my series while I wait for my designer/formatter to finish the interior, tweak the cover design and create the full-sized cover for the paperback version of the book. It looks as if May could be a mixed bag of fails and wins.

Write 2k words a week on Book 5 of my series (approximately 285 words a day)
[x] Week 1 - 1423 words (four days @ 358 words)
[x] Week 2 - 2161 words (seven days @ 308 words)
[x] Week 3 - 1093 words (seven days @ 156 words)
[x] Week 4 - 1514 words (seven days @ 216 words)
[ ] Week 5​
[x] Read 3 books 3 of 3
[ ] Continue reading one short story a week
[ ] Take five nature walks of at least 1.5 mile 0 of 5
Get Book Two of my series republished
[x] Review text, rewrite front and back matter and send to formatter
[x] Approve cover design
[ ] Decide on promo schedule
[ ] Republish on Amazon (this may slop over into June depending on how fast the turnaround is)

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I think I might just accept that I don't want to do the courses on the weekend :tongue

Also had another schedule-induced miss on the cooking dinner for myself. Might have to refine that one, too. Ah well, close enough :)

● Decluttering progress:
[X] Sort and clear out office shelf.
[X] Sort through storage boxes from under the bed.
● Activity Minutes (30 mins a day):
[3/5] Week One
[X] Week Two
[X] Week Three
[X] Week Four
[ ] Week Five​
● Cook dinner for myself at least three times per week (toast doesn't count):
[2/3] Week One
[2/3] Week Two
[X] Week Three
[2/3] Week Four
[ ] Week Five​
● Watch a writing/creativity course lesson or do a writing exercise once per day:
[4/5] Week One
[X] Week Two
[4/5] Week Three
[4/5] Week Four
[ ] Week Five​

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I love seeing the progress on all fronts everyone, and am a huge believer that having goals helps us make progress towards goals even if we don't summit. And oddly, I am craving sausage now.

[ 9 down, almost there! ] Sub to about a dozen small presses. I made no progress over the past week but hope to nail the last three tomorrow.

[ Done ] Send full ms off for another beta read (in prep for self pub)--Got the comments back, hurray!

[ started ] Finish second draft of short story I've been workshopping IRL I've spent the past week incorporating feedback from CPs and also revving up the emotion. Maybe 70% of goal is met?

[ started ] Finish my world map--both by hand and digitally. I'm completely into the digital work now. Up to 60% of the goal.

[ Done ] Appendices for the novel. I reserve the option to change them in the future, though! Hehe. Are these things ever truly done?

ETA: Whew!!! Just subbed to the last batch of presses. My goodness but that feels good to be done with.

Last edited:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Patty, you are making me crave sausage now too.

Final update:

Update:

[] 10k on The Vanishing - 7,623 words total, not quite there
[] Oubliette words - Nada
[x] Newsletters (5/5)

Not too bad but not stellar either.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Saoirse--7,000+ words of creation is awesome and I've never been brave enough to put blogging or newsletters on my goal sheet. :(

BUT. Here are the final tallies. I am so close on one of them that I will call it done. It's been a push since getting back from vacation. One goal was not met, and will slop over, and June's goals will be bigger ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[ Done!!! ] Sub to about a dozen small presses. I subbed to fifteen in the end--though would retract one of those now if I could. Two rejections have rolled in already, but that's OK.

[ Done ] Send full ms off for another beta read (in prep for self pub).

[ Done!!! ] Finish second draft of short story I've been workshopping IRL Actually not 100%done, but I am on the last 700 words of what is currently 15,180 words. I expect to finish the second draft this afternoon. This current dalliance on absolutewrite is a little mental break for me before pushing through the final scene.

The good news is that the story is officially novella length now--hurray, accomplished an unspoken goal--at 15,000+ words. I hope to hit 20K words when it's all done. This story will go on my website this fall, when I pub the novel. You can read the first 200 words here.

[ Very Close ] Finish my world map--both by hand and digitally. I'm completely into the digital work now. Almost 90% of the goal. It'll spill into June, but that's OK with me. There's no real rush--it is just a to-do.

[ Done ] Appendices for the novel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So--A good month as far as these goals go. Not sure if I will do JuneNo because every time I do these WriMos, I really take them seriously--I am sitting here exhausted from pushing through the month's goals this past week. Jeez Louise! I need to clean my home, but I'm on a deadline!!! LOL.

Anyway, June will be all about incorporating beta comments, finishing the world map, which is really a partial continent map, and so on. Maybe another draft of the short story. maybe a different short story. Maybe I'll join the circus.

Last edited:

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Final update for the month.

So it's been both a good and a terrible month. To try and look on the bright side, I'll put the terrible first :p I did not send more queries. I toyed with the idea of doing it on Wednesday, but then just didn't. That is the worst of the unfinished goals. I only read two books (one a comic). I barely did any game stuff, and that's normally my fallback.

I had a lot happen in the month, but I also had days when I idly typed some stuff up to count as 'edits' rather than doing something properly. I didn't end up doing Week 3's writing day so failed that, and some of my other days were dubious enough it was probably a fail anyway.

I did, however, on the good front, get another flash piece done, and so with the two flashes pieces (plus some tweaks to some micro fiction), I'm happy with the stories edited. The second flash piece still needs a title and I want to go over it once more in case of typos, but I think it's finished. I love it atm, but I imagine that will last right up until the first rejection, then I'll realise it's terrible :p

Haven goes into the really good pile. I've gotten properly back into - I wrote just under 10k words for it this month - and I can see where I'm going for the next few chapters at least. But it feels smooth - I'm getting ideas for fixing plot holes and how to get to the end. And I finally figured out, 35k words into this post-apocalypse story, what the apocalypse was!

So definitely a mixed bag of a month.

Oh! I baked. I baked a birthday cake for my sister's birthday. I chose a vanilla cake recipe that I knew had been light and fluffy the last time I did it, so turned out so very dense this time. No idea what I did wrong/differently. So not quite what I'd wanted, but the flavour still worked with the very rich chocolate ganache (fanciest icing I've ever made!) and with sprinkles it was very pretty and birthday-cake-looking.

1. Read five books. 2/5
2. Edit one story. Two flash edited, one micro fiction tweaked.
3. Draft one new story. Yes.
4. Game planning. Little bit.
5. Query S&M. Nope. Not at all.
6. Finish Ginevra. Yes!
7. Plan/assess Haven. Yes!
8. Write/edit each day, with one dedicated writing day per week. Yes, but then no.
9. Bake a thing. Birthday cake.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy last day of May, everyone! Looks like a lot of goals were met, and even if they weren't, progress was made!

I was hoping to get just a few hundred more words written on Book 5 by the end of today, but my galleys for Book Two came in yesterday, and I've been trying to get them finished and back to my formatter by tonight - so that took precedence. At about 8640 words for the month, I'm just a bit shy of my goal. It may be that I'll finish the galleys and still have time to get those few hundred words written tonight; if that's the case, I'll come back and adjust my numbers, but right now I'm calling my first goal a very near miss.

Complete fail on the nature walk front, although I met both my book and short-story reading goals, and sorted out a rough idea of my promo timeline for Book Two (I did the cover reveal today). Once Book Two is released, I'll probably play around with pricing for Book 1 on Amazon and see where that gets me. Goals for June...

Speaking of June, I'll be starting that thread shortly and once it's up, will post a link to it on this thread. Be sure to come over and state your goals for June!

Write 2k words a week on Book 5 of my series (approximately 285 words a day)
[x] Week 1 - 1423 words (four days @ 358 words)
[x] Week 2 - 2161 words (seven days @ 308 words)
[x] Week 3 - 1093 words (seven days @ 156 words)
[x] Week 4 - 1514 words (seven days @ 216 words)
[x] Week 5 - 2197 words (six days @ 366 words)​
[x] Read 3 books 3 of 3
[x] Continue reading one short story a week
[ ] Take five nature walks of at least 1.5 mile 0 of 5
Get Book Two of my series republished
[x] Review text, rewrite front and back matter and send to formatter
[x] Approve cover design
[x] Decide on promo schedule
[ ] Republish on Amazon (this may slop over into June depending on how fast the turnaround is)

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
The Fiskur cover looks great @mrsmig!

Wrapping up my month now, and I'll be back tomorrow to sort out my June goals.

Did okay on my daily goals, though I missed one a week for most of them. Ah well.

● Decluttering progress:
[X] Sort and clear out office shelf.
[X] Sort through storage boxes from under the bed.
● Activity Minutes (30 mins a day):
[3/5] Week One
[X] Week Two
[X] Week Three
[X] Week Four
[X] Week Five
● Cook dinner for myself at least three times per week (toast doesn't count):
[2/3] Week One
[2/3] Week Two
[X] Week Three
[2/3] Week Four
[X] Week Five
● Watch a writing/creativity course lesson or do a writing exercise once per day:
[4/5] Week One
[X] Week Two
[6/7] Week Three
[6/7] Week Four
[5/6] Week Five

Status
Not open for further replies.