Past tense or past perfect tense in this sentence?

stardustx

Dreaming about fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a little flashback that explains how a character came to a decision. At the end of the flashback, I have a sentence that explains the father agreed to the character's decision, but the event of the father agreeing happens at a later time after the character had already made the decision.

I'm not sure what verb tense/verb phrasing I should use for this particular sentence.

Here's a sample, followed by the particular sentence:

She'd thought it sounded pretty, so she'd always remembered it.

The sentence in particular:

And then, when the time had come, her father had agreed it sounded lovely.

Or should the sentence be:

...when the time came, her father had agreed.

I'm confusing myself. What verb phrasing is correct?

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, slight confusion bordering upon a touch of awkwardness . . . Perhaps not technically incorrect, but might I suggest a rewrite?

At the time, she thought it sounded pretty; later, her father agreed.

stardustx

Dreaming about fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
The sentence does sound kind of awkward, doesn't it? I think it would be easier (both easier to write and simply easier to understand) if I just rewrite it.

Thanks!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Or should the sentence be:

Both your original and revised sentence are correct. However, for novels, the revision is better for one less "had." Your wording shows the action happened in a past farther than simple past tense, so you really don't need the past-perfect form--or at least so much of it.

One sentence isn't enough to judge what may be an ongoing annoyance, but as Ironmike and Screenscope imply, losing "hads" altogether usually make for better wording in novels.

Last edited:

benacrow

Registered
Reaction score
She'd thought it sounded pretty, so she'd always remembered it.

In general, those combination of sentences just sound a bit awkward and wordy. I'm not sure the context directly before these sentences, but I would change it to read:

She thought it had sounded pretty, so she'd remembered it ever since. And when the time came, her father agreed.

Not sure if there's anything that goes in between, but it might not hurt to add another sentence between those two with a bit more detail (unless it's already explained earlier). I'd only add the 'had agreed' if the 'when the time came' is also in the past.