Venezuelan Coup D'Etat

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Tensions have reached a boiling point. The opposition leader has openly declared a coup, Maduro is calling for volunteers to defend the Presidential Palace, several countries have declared their support for the opposition, and according to pictures, military members have defected and now support the coup.

It appears it's all or nothing now. If Maduro wins this coup, he'll be the president until he dies of old age.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that should make Trump happy.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Well, this mess won't turn into a proxy quagmire conflict at all...

I feel sorry for the average Venezuelan caught in the middle of all this. Not sure I see a "good" side or outcome, from what little I've managed to pick up. And then you get Russia and America and everyone else sticking their oil-hungry fingers in the pie...

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are going to be a lot more Venezuelans in Florida now who are fleeing this conflict.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Surprise. Surprise.

Pompeo claims Russia stopped Maduro leaving Venezuela for Cuba
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/30/politics/pompeo-maduro-russia/index.html

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo claimed Tuesday that embattled Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro was preparing to leave the country for Cuba, but was talked out of it by Russia.

So yes, it's turning into a proxy war with Russia ... with possibly Cuba caught in-between. Expect the US Navy to get jittery.

-cb

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I so don't know what to believe about Venezuela. Can't trust the news, can't trust anything from the Trump admin. Can't trust my assumptions or instincts because I really don't have any personal experience there to draw on.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I so don't know what to believe about Venezuela. Can't trust the news, can't trust anything from the Trump admin. Can't trust my assumptions or instincts because I really don't have any personal experience there to draw on.

For international news I have found, of all things, “The Economist” to be fairly reliable, if poky, stodgy and a week behind.

Be interesting to see what they have to say next week.

”The Christian Science Monitor” was pretty good on international news too, last I checked.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I hope Max Mordon is okay. And his family and friends. Haven't seen him around here in ages. He was thinking of leaving Venezuela, I wonder if he did so.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Frimble, that was my first thought, too. I know he was doing what he could to get food into the house, last time I saw him, identifying shelf-stable items he could order online. Then nothing.

Maryn, fretting for him and all the others caught up in this

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hello, folks. After Calla Lilly wrote me on Twitter, I decided to pass by. I'm still in Venezuela and so is my family, doing our best to keep us safe. I haven't been here on ages since my work on journalism really has consumed lots of my time, though I still manage to write fiction from time to time, mostly as a distraction.

Here's a piece I wrote about the events two days ago. Feel free to ask me any questions and I will try to answer the best I can.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Hello, folks. After Calla Lilly wrote me on Twitter, I decided to pass by. I'm still in Venezuela and so is my family, doing our best to keep us safe. I haven't been here on ages since my work on journalism really has consumed lots of my time, though I still manage to write fiction from time to time, mostly as a distraction.

Here's a piece I wrote about the events two days ago. Feel free to ask me any questions and I will try to answer the best I can.

Glad you are well. Was worried.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I found that article very informative and I didn't detect any particular bias. If you can link to more of yours or other people's articles you think are more informative than sensational, I would love to read them.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're safe, Max. Do you think the reports about Maduro getting ready to escape were true?

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I found that article very informative and I didn't detect any particular bias. If you can link to more of yours or other people's articles you think are more informative than sensational, I would love to read them.

I have had two blackouts and virtually no internet outside my phone since the morning but when things get stable, I would love to. I have written for NPR's Latino USA, Public Radio International, Zócalo Public Square, Americas Quarterly, Into, and NewNowNext.