• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Blackstone Publishing

jcwriter

Splish splash I was takin' a bath
Registered
Reaction score
Blackstone Publishing has been doing audio books for some time and a few years ago branched into print. Publishers Marketplace shows a number of deals, but I can find nothing about submissions, direct or otherwise. Anybody got any leads?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Or, if this is a branching out of their previous business, maybe they are starting with their audio book writers? People they are used to working with?

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
Just an update: I received an offer on my YA contemporary from them in July with a nice advance. We ultimately turned it down for a Big 5 publisher, but they've been acquiring more YA recently via Publishers Marketplace.

Their covers are awesome and I was impressed by their website and social media presence. Unlike my Big 5 editor, they first acquire and then assign an editor, or at least it's how it worked with me. We went to acquisitions fairly quickly after they got the proposal, not the full manuscript (a week or so).

Basically from what I can glean, they are doing a combination of releasing general audio books from various other publishers while starting their own line of print titles. I hope they do well. I'm not sure if they accept unagented submissions.

Last edited:

Corvid

~
Registered
Reaction score
I just sent them an email through their contact form asking if they accept unagented submissions. Their covers look really nice and they seem to have an impressive internet presence.

C Alberts

Registered
Reaction score
FYI from the bricks-and-mortar bookstore side of things... They now have active sales reps (via email/phone) reaching out to us about their print books. Their catalog is on edelweiss and we were sent a link to a marked-up catalog (where, in addition to the usual info, they include notes about certain titles that may be of regional interest, or "featured" titles, etc). They are also offering very good terms to bookstores if we order directly from them (low minimums, high discounts) and their titles are also available through Ingram, standard discount, returnable. They are getting reviews from the industry journals (Kirkus, PW, Library Journal, Booklist, etc) for most of the books I spot-checked. All this means that there is no barrier to bricks-and-mortar placement. They clearly know what they are doing, which doesn't surprise me based on the caliber of their audiobook business.

Caveat - as of now we don't actually have any of their titles on our shelves, and we may or may not order from this catalog they sent, but the potential is certainly there. And we are just one small bookstore with our own quirks and specialties, and their print catalog isn't huge yet, so that doesn't really mean much, lol. Just figured I would add this info because I remembered there was a thread here about them and thought it would be helpful to authors who are considering them.