The Long Wait

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi team,

I wanted to share a wee experience, and see what people think.

I subbed a short story to one of the big-four SFF mags (shall remain nameless) in May 2018. This particular mag doesn’t have a rule against simultaneous subs, so I subbed another a month later.

After having heard only crickets until November 2018, I sent a polite nudge. They didn’t reply so I nudged again a month later. It took nudging via social media to get them to reply - I got an email from the editor saying, “you will hear shortly” in mid-December.

*crickets*

February comes around - I nudge again - no reply.
April - I do a social media nudge, and their SM team tells me they will contact the editor.

In a few weeks it will be a year since I subbed. I can see from Submission Grinder that they are continuing to reject and accept stories.

The problem for me is that I love this market - I subscribe to it, and would, obviously, love to be published in it.

What do you all reckon?

A good CP/friend of mine told me to pull the submissions, but I’m already so gawd-damn deep in, plus I keep thinking a reply is just around the corner.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I've subbed to markets that have this type of wait. If there's no rule against simultaneous subs, send the story to other markets while you're waiting.

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
I feel your pain, but it's a buyer's market. I think as long as you remain polite and professional in your nudges, you can't be at fault. They may reject your piece out of petty annoyance, but at least you'll have kept your dignity and self respect. That's my thought anyway.