Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's how the family silliness goes. Chant, in a low voice:

Dickie Thon, Dickie Thon, Dickie-Dickie-Dickie-Dickie
THON Dickie Thon Dickie Dickie Thon Dickie Thon
Dickie Dickie Thon Thon Dickie Thon Dickie Dickie...

There is literally no way to use Thon's first and last names, together or separately, repeated many times, that isn't pleasing. Go off someplace by yourself and give it a shot.

Maryn, that weird but okay with it

beautiful_land

Registered
Reaction score
That also makes me happy.

I woke up yesterday morning and Weather Underground was telling me conflicting things. We were under a Winter Storm Warning now instead of a watch with calls for 5 to 8 inches of snow. But WU's Daily Planner said around two inches. So I didn't know what we were going to receive.

Turns out we received enough to stick to roofs, but not much more. There was snow on lawns this morning, but not enough to cover entire lawns. Almost all of it was gone by early this afternoon. The latest I can remembering it snowing was May 1 in 1994. Temps will be near 60 tomorrow which is cooler than normal, but it's difficult for me to complain about temps near 60.

The local Subway was closed yesterday afternoon because all of their weekend staff had prom.

Listen, I didn't go to either of my proms. Nobody was interested in me my junior year. This caused me to learn the truth of even though I didn't go to prom, my world didn't end. So I didn't see much reason to go senior year, either.

Cascade just has this thing for formal dances. Along with prom, homecoming and Sadie Hawkins are also formals. I just think this high school takes this stuff too seriously.

Then again, I was never into this sort of thing.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love it, Subway closing while their entire staff did prom.

I didn't go to prom. At the time, I felt unloved and unlovely, but by the next year, I could give a rat's ass. One of my kids went to her prom, the other did not, and I was grateful that at their school (which is unusual in many ways) prom was not the big limo-renting virginity-losing deal it is at some schools.

It seems the mileau of each school determines what's a big deal. Our district is odd in that the athletes and cheerleaders are not the kids who are popular. It's the student leaders and academic achievers. Very strange! (Some years we cannot field a football team. Not enough kids try out.) But I like it. We moved here because we knew the schools were excellent, without knowing about the social stuff. Our kids were still pre-schoolers at the time. But it served them both well.

And when our younger kid worked at Subway, it would have stayed open during prom, I guess.

beautiful_land

Registered
Reaction score
Cascade is a comparitively small school so everybody does everything. The athletes are popular, but they also do other activites so I'm not sure the reason for the popularity. Sports would be the biggest reason, but not the only the one.

Was thinking about two moms today from my final years covering sports. They were/are best friends and always said each other's girls were like daughters to them.

Yet both of them gossipped to me about the sex lives of the other's daughter. Not just gossip, but malicious gossip.

That was the start of me being not as close to the two moms as I wondered what gossip they told people about me.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I like that song, too. Haven't heard it in too long.

I don't understand why anyone thinks it's okay to discuss someone else's sex life (and the implied disapproval or moral superiority that usually goes with it). To me, the only people who are entitled to bring it up are the two (or more!) players, if they agree to break the privacy to which sex is entitled. And it has to be both of them, not just one who decides to spill the beans. Although in situations of complete anonymity (internet, some places anyway), maybe one person with experience doing X can counsel another interested in X.

Maryn, X-rated

beautiful_land

Registered
Reaction score
It was annoying to me that two people gossiped about two girls they claimed to love like daughters. Pretty low.

I wholeheartedly agree. Sex should be private between the people involved.

I also become angry when I experience morons using "virgin" as an insult. People should be allowed to live whatever life they wish.

I have some audios I'd like you all to hopefully enjoy. They're not some great podcasts with amazing production values. They're just me and Audacity bringing you some words from me as I talk about life and things which interest me. The last few moments I use to promote my writing.

This one is a look at the Drake Relays which is something I covered from 2012-15. It gave me many memories. This is the first part. Hope you all enjoy it.

http://shoutengine.com/NoBudgetRadio/drake-relays-part-one-76551

beautiful_land

Registered
Reaction score
Today marks four years since I lost my best friend. The pain isn't as strong as it once was, but I still miss Mom dearly. I haven't been able to replace the love and strength which I received from her and I don't know if I ever will.

But I keep moving towards my goals and dreams and towards healing. Hopefully, someday, I'll get there.

And to be totally selfish, here are the final two parts of the Drake Relays series. Hope you enjoy them.

http://shoutengine.com/NoBudgetRadio/the-last-perfect-day-drake-relays-part-two-77103

http://shoutengine.com/NoBudgetRadio/drake-relays-part-three-77752

I hope you all have a great week.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. Hope you are all well. Been awfully busy and haven't frequented this board as much as I had hoped.

I thought I would start a thread where we can talk and you call can ask me about Iowa, pro wrestling, history, Britcoms, volleyball, the Cincinnati Bengals and more. You can even ask things to know me better if you would like.

Of course, I would also love to know all of you better.

I'll start with something random. I became a Bengals fan because of the tiger striped helmets and uniforms. But as much as I love those Cincy unis, the greatest sports uniform of all time is the Houston Astros rainbow uniforms.

Look forward to hearing from you.

:hi: I also like cats. I'm a Lions fan.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was born in Detroit, in the now-disappeared Harper Hospital. Pictures of it make it look like a great setting for Gothic horror. How fitting!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I barrack for the mighty tigers (Richmond) in the AFL (Australian Football League). The guernsey in my avie is our 'away' jumper (of which we are now most fond, seeing as we won the premiership in it--note big shiny cup! :) ), those colours are usually inverted and are, obv, the very best in our league.

beautiful_land

Registered
Reaction score
After closing at 3PM for prom, the local Subway is closing at 6 and 7, depending on the day, for the local county fairs the next two weeks.

beautiful_land

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure the weather can be much more perfect than it is today.

beautiful_land

Registered
Reaction score
I turned 49 today. It's a tiny miracle I've made it this far and I'm grateful.

In this coming year as I make my way toward a half-century (!) I hope you and your loved ones experience much success and happiness.

I've enjoyed my short time here tremendously and look forward to continue growing with you all.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Kansas wasn't much for sweet corn, mainly feed corn which hungry teens can roast and eat over a campfire, but Kansas corn was nothing like Iowa corn. Our poor deluded nuns used to grow their own in what I called a roastin' ear patch. The girls from Chicago had a hoot over that one! We used to pilfer the nun's sweet corn and then, we would return from our "walk" with our sweaters bulging with unhusked ears and have to sign in while under the suspicious eye of Sister Jean. We would boil the ears in our lounge. The Iowa girls added milk and a 1/4 quarter cup of sugar to the water. We had cafeteria pilfered butter in the fridge. And chocolate milk. Who could ask for more--chocolate milk and sweet corn with butter. Those were the days!

KDIvanov

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Beautiful_land! I'm also from Iowa. I was born in Des Moines and raised in Davenport when I was very young. My parents grew up in I-don't-quite-know where. They seemed to bebop around Davenport, Cedar Rapids and Lost Nation. I've also got a history in local papers, as you can see from my indecision regarding the oxford comma.
Spring is definitely the best season.

beautiful_land

Registered
Reaction score
My sixth-grade goddaughter has lately been using big words to show she's growing up. She told her teacher that she and her folks were going for a drive to see the fall cleavage.

Cleavage. Foliage. The words are similar, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.