Newbie looking to learn how to beta read

SmartWater Ph.D.

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

The name's SmartWater, and I write fantasy and romance. Sometimes fantasy romance. I enjoy reading fantasy, and I'll knock out a romance novel in a couple of nights every now and then. I started writing in first grade as an alternative to staring dully at the ceiling at church. The "notes" section on the programs were begging to be filled with whatever nonsense floated around in my noggin back then. Wrote my first novel in 9th grade and subsequently burned, deleted, or trashed every draft of it in existence. I've never tried to get published, but I want to.

Other skills/hobbies include sewing, baking, drawing, painting, gaming, and watching youtube.

My current struggle - coming up with two separate pen names for my fantasy and romance novels.

So, nice to meet y'all.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Right smart intro, SmartWater. I like all your industrious projects. I also sew (army parachute rigger school), bake (Dad was a 22-year navy cook), and like to draw when not writing some romance into couples mysteries.

I think you'll like this crowd. :welcome:!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

SmartWater Ph.D.

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. Life is crazy at the moment.

Anyway, I enjoy some traditional tabletop games, like D&D and Vampire. I also like JRPGS (especially Final Fantasy), RTS, turn-based strategy, and a couple of side scrollers/adventure games. The Dragon Age franchise was great, too.

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, SmartWater!

If you're looking to learn how to beta, I'd suggest dipping your toes in the SYW board by giving crits. It's a great way to practice, work toward your fifty posts, and meet people on the boards. Many successful beta pairings have begun that way.

Love the image of you enhancing your programs -- I can relate. :)

Last edited:

Badly

Registered
Reaction score
I keep on reading about this SYW board. What is that exactly? Also new here.

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
I keep on reading about this SYW board. What is that exactly? Also new here.

Hi Badly, welcome to AW!

It’s the Share Your Work forum in the AW Writing Lab. It’s where members post work for critique.