Making the most of a near miss

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
A short story of mine recently placed as a finalist in a pretty decent literary contest, and I’m wondering what you all think of mentioning this in cover letters (for other short-story submissions; maybe eventually for submitting a novel to an agent but that’s a long way off yet). Unfortunately, this particular contest only publishes the winners, so the story is still unpublished.

I read one blog post, somewhere, that suggested you can’t really make use of placing as a finalist in cover letters, because all you’re saying is “such-and-such journal declined to publish my story.” This is obviously not something you want to say in a cover letter (how long and full of prestigious names all our cover letters might be!). But I wanted to collect some other opinions. I see two distinct scenarios here:

Submitting this same story. I can see why the contest result would be tacky to mention in this case. “Dear editor, enclosed please find a story that almost won another journal’s contest. Would you like to publish their sloppy seconds?” I’m not sure any amount of diplomatic language could pretty that one up. It’s frustrating because I am still trying to get the story published, and I want this contest result to count for something! But I suspect I’m out of luck.

Submitting other stories. This seems potentially less tacky. “Lakey’s stories have been published in journals such as Pompous Quarterly and The Navel-Gazer’s Review, and she was a finalist in Impenetrable Fiction’s annual short-story contest.” That might be worth something...?

I’m sure I’m just grasping at straws; perhaps it doesn’t matter at all and would have zero impact on my chances of getting another story published anyway. But - any thoughts out there?

(I am so ready to start a journal called The Navel-Gazer’s Review. Who’s with me?)

:e2coffee:

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
You should absolutely mention it and it's not "sloppy second" it says look out of hundred of participants my story was chosen as a finalist / shortlisted / longlisted (delete as appropriate).

Don't sell yourself short.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Elle. Don't sell yourself short and don't sell your story short, either. Do make your cover letter short, tho'; the cover is less important than the story.

How many of your short stories have been published? Mention that. If any of your stories have won awards, mention that.

Maybe something basic like this to build on, for example:

"Dear [Editor Name],

I am enclosing for your consideration "Story Title" ([genre if applicable], 3000 words), which was a finalist in Impenetrable Fiction’s annual short-story contest.

Fifteen of my short stories have appeared in journals such as Pompous Quarterly and The Navel-Gazer’s Review, and other venues.

(etc., etc.)"

(Yes, let's talk about The Navel-Gazer's Review ;) )

Last edited:

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to you both. It’s helpful to have the counter-opinion to that one blog post I read, and so I am glad I asked.

I’m fairly new to this world of fiction; I only have one story published thus far (not counting another published nearly 30 years ago, in a journal that no longer exists). Hence my cover letter as it stands now is a little thin on the fiction ground. I would like to be able to add this contest result to it, at least until I have a couple more publications and maybe an actual contest win to supplant it! Someday.

:e2coffee:

Conrad Adamson

Registered
Reaction score
Books being shortlisted for awards is mentioned in their summaries so I would conclude that the same practice would work for claiming achievements for short fiction.

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
I think it depends on the editor who reads your next submission. Some may be truly impressed that you were a finalist while to others it won't mean a thing (but, I suspect, won't hinder your chances with them either). As you said, your writing credentials are still a bit thin, so do everything you can to boost them.