• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Does anyone else think and write like this? Am I alone? How do others think?

Kbars

Registered
Reaction score
As a kid, I had extreme anxiety. I could talk with people one on one with no problem. In groups of three or more, forget it. I would think of something to say and it would be too late. The conversation had moved on. To combat this, I planned conversations in my head. It is a habit I have kept some thirty years later. I am constantly editing my thoughts/arguments/statements and now I am pursuing writing this has turned into my strength.

I come up with my stories’ premise, characters, and theme. I put my characters into a scene. I imagine what would happen and weirdly enough; the scene somewhat writes itself! I believe it is a form of subconscious writing. To improve on that scene, I imagine a slightly different scenario and do it again. And again. And again. This refines my scenes and at times I am shocked with what I come up with. I was driving to work a week ago and came up with an epiphany about one of my characters' motivations, and it brought me to tears. It is such a touching moment in my story.

When I write my first draft, it is what I call a “brain dump.” As I write it out, I add details. I think about it more and make edits. I then concentrate at my computer and focus on a particular aspect of writing. Adding characterization. Showing, not telling. Refining the POV.

I am also obsessive about my story. It is almost always on my mind. I am lucky in that I have a job that requires no brain power at all (washing dishes at a cafeteria). For eight hours a day, I am listening to audio books or refining my scenes.

Does this happen to anyone else? Am I alone? How do you think? Is this a good way to write? Does anyone else have any advice to take this to the next level?

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
I come up with epiphanies while driving but then I forget what it was about, so it rarely gets to be an actual improvement to anything ;) But yeah, I like thinking up little improvements while on the go, while walking in town etc. Changing stuff little by little until the scene works. Solutions sometimes just pop up out of nowhere, at any time and at any place! Remembering it later is another thing tho :roll:

Sarrah

Registered
Reaction score
My creativity comes out much in the same way. I write a short idea, I stop and go back and read it. While I'm reading it, I alter, subtract and/or add as I read. I might re-read it until it becomes a full-on chapter.

I can think of a lot of stuff in my head, but the particulars will not form until I start writing.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Please don't apply value judgments to your process ("Is this a good way to write?") If it works for you, then it's a good way.

Really, don't compare your way to others. That way lies madness.

This. ^
But yes, this happens to other people, in case you still need to hear that. It's my M.O. Usually if my characters don't start "writing themselves," something's wrong with my idea. I'm still figuring out how to know when to persevere past a hitch and when to accept the hitch as a permanent block.

I don't have the quote on me, but I read a quote from Charlotte Brontë, of all people, describing a similar experience.

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
I have a similar process, the ideas form, seemingly by themselves, in my head.

Before I start, I note them down and they build from there. Scenes, characters, they all seem to build themselves and in most cases, I don’t know where the ideas come from.

Sometimes When editing I’ve read sections and have no recollection of where the details came from.

Most of my imagination work happens away from my computer. Once I start writing, the work is to flesh them out and link them together, and over time it takes shape.

Kbars

Registered
Reaction score
Please don't apply value judgments to your process ("Is this a good way to write?") If it works for you, then it's a good way.

Really, don't compare your way to others. That way lies madness.

Thanks for that Marrissa.

I don’t see my writing it as a defect. It is more of a secret weapon! This subject has just been on my mind since I realized it. It is nice to hear that I am not alone though. Thanks, Kat.

I have some serious anxiety about my writing. I have so much to learn. I have so much to figure out. I have 5,435,256 more edits to do! I recognize that I have hundreds if not thousands of hours to go before I will be close to publishing.

At times I am so jazzed about what I do that I can’t wait to get back to my computer and type. Other times I wonder if I am wasting my time and drift off to looking at cute cat pictures for the sake of “Research.”

Everyone is unique. Everyone is different. Whenever I meet someone on these boards who is struggling or what not, I like to say: I share this characteristic. This is how I deal with it.

It’s crazy. Examining what others are going through makes you examine what you are going through. Empathizing with others and relating to them is therapeutic (without having to pay a lot of money).

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
At times I am so jazzed about what I do that I can’t wait to get back to my computer and type. Other times I wonder if I am wasting my time and drift off to looking at cute cat pictures for the sake of “Research.”

OK, are we the same person? Except for me yesterday it was Google Streetview in remote corners of the state . . .

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I come up with my stories’ premise, characters, and theme. I put my characters into a scene. I imagine what would happen and weirdly enough; the scene somewhat writes itself! I believe it is a form of subconscious writing.

Wait, there are people who aren't doing this, at least?

I know what you mean about the epiphanies. I've had 'em in the car, I've had 'em at work, while mowing the lawn, while showering, at the supermarket.

Also, let's procrastinate with Google Earth! Did you know *spins the globe* Nigeria has Streetview now?

GoSpeed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rjacques.net
Kbars, you're pretty much describing my writing process. I may not obsess over my story as much as you do though, but hey, whatever it takes to get that story down into words, do it.

Elijah Sydney

Delusional and loving it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publisherlistings.com
Did you know *spins the globe* Nigeria has Streetview now?
What?!! Guess who's off to Nigeria tonight!

I mostly only think of my novel when I'm writing. I like to feel fresh when I write. If I spend too much time thinking about it while doing other things, by the time I get to actually writing I'm over it.

But that said, every now and then I do have one of those epiphany moments - mostly regarding motivations of my characters - where I'll think, "You know what? That's not a particularly convincing motive," and I'll resolve to look into it next time I'm working on it.

NINA28

Registered
Reaction score
My brain is more active at night I've found.
Also, if I sit in front of my computer screen I get zero brain activity. I'm better off leaving my PC and thinking about it somewhere else, then the ideas flow. I talk out loud to myself into a recorder (I live alone so yeah I'm nuts!) and am often surprised what I come up with. I don't need to worry about forgetting it because it's all their forever.

Kbars

Registered
Reaction score
My brain is more active at night I've found.
Also, if I sit in front of my computer screen I get zero brain activity. I'm better off leaving my PC and thinking about it somewhere else, then the ideas flow. I talk out loud to myself into a recorder (I live alone so yeah I'm nuts!) and am often surprised what I come up with. I don't need to worry about forgetting it because it's all their forever.

Talking to yourself is fine. Just don't argue!;)

When we speak, we translate thoughts into words. When we here ourselves talk, we retranslate those words back to thoughts! This uses different parts of the brain an really improves on what we create! Not nuts at all! It's a great system!

Last edited:

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
Writing is a great escape from reality. :)

Azdaphel

Registered
Reaction score
I had three ideas for stories from dreams. Don't be afraid of your imagination running wild. I restrained mine for years and I regret it. Now, I have so many ideas popping up, sometimes I wonder which one I really want to make a story from.

JEChillemi

Registered
Reaction score
I think a lot of people do this, even without anxiety. I know I do this, and I definitely found myself having full blown conversations with my characters or imagining them having conversations with one another. Totally normal...unless you can't actually tell if the voices are real or not!