Sri Lanka, Easter bombing

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Link

Colombo: [FONT=&quot]At least 138 people have been killed and more than 400 were injured in six explosions in Sri Lanka on Sunday, hospital and police officials said.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Three of the near-simultaneous explosions took place in Catholic churches where Easter services were underway while three other explosions were reported in five star hotels, according to police.[/FONT]

I wish the people who made bombs would turn their minds to better things.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
This is horrific. I have friends from Sri Lanka who are Christian. One of them I've lost contact with and only remember her first name so I don't see how I'll ever know if she and her family are okay. (Bloody stupid of me, but the circumstances under which she left where we were living were outside anyone's control so didn't get a chance to exchange contact details.)

Horrific waste of life. Just... there aren't any words.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dear god - eighth explosion reported.
As attacks continue, the Sri Lankan government is taking no chances and has imposed a curfew that will begin at 6pm and end at 6am tomorrow morning.
It’s just coming up to 3pm in Sri Lanka now so that gives people three hours to get home.
As well as announcing a curfew, the Sri Lankan government has shutdown access to social media and messaging services, Reuters reports.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Gratitude to the rescue workers and volunteers helping those hurt by this.

The shutdown of social media troubles me. Surely it’s better to spread information than have a blackout.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I thought the civil war with the Tamils was over. Apparently not.

The civil war lasted three decades and was a brutal, bloody, violent mess, it was put down by a government that to this day uses suppression, brutal methods and torture in the name of preserving the peace. Old resentments still fester and there is no love lost between the Buddhist majority and the Hindus who waged the war against each other.

In the not quite ten years since the war was declared over there have been multiple eruptions of Buddhist mob violence, attacking mostly Muslims and burning down their houses and businesses.

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
It must be easier to buy bomb making materials overseas than here in America. We don't have those kind of bomb attacks here -- at least not since the OK city bombing. Mass shootings are a daily occurrence here but not deadly bombings.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It must be easier to buy bomb making materials overseas than here in America. We don't have those kind of bomb attacks here -- at least not since the OK city bombing. Mass shootings are a daily occurrence here but not deadly bombings.

I'd wager it's not. Ask the brothers who bombed the Boston Marathon. You can make an effective bomb with shit in your kitchen, which is not news.

This was a whole series of bombs that didn't, individually, have to be Oklahoma City sized (and yes, it's harder in the U.S. to get specific types of chemicals used by McVeigh) to do the kind of damage that's been done.

As to why they're not used more here -- luck.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

It may be because guns are so readily available here. Suicidal crazies with an agenda and no regard for human life can shoot dozens of people instead of blowing them up. Maybe it simply fits in with the cultural worship of the "John Wayne" archetype in the US. Our macho "heroes" all use guns, not bombs. Guns put the murderers in the middle of the action and place them at the center of attention in a way bombs don't. American culture is individualistic and egotistical compared to many others.

It's also possible that bombers are motivated differently than mass shooters are here, and the differences in method also represent differences in agenda and psychology in the two countries. Shooters often have personal vendettas or are "lone wolves" who have been radicalized via the web (like the church shooters or the San Bernardino shooters), while bombers are often working on behalf of more organized terrorist groups that are, thus far, rare in the US? This series of attacks in Sri Lanka was clearly very organized and involved a group of murderers, not just one or two.

I'm just guessing, though. We did have the Boston Marathon bombers who seemed to fit the profile I just described for the shooters. As CF points out, it's not hard to make some kinds of bombs at home.

My heart aches for the victims.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I haven't seen the Tamil Tigers implicated in these bombings thus far. Have you?

I haven't either, and I'm not clear why they would be targeting Christian churches (and not Buddhist temples) either, though I confess a great deal of ignorance about the group, aside from the generalities we tend to hear on the news here in the US.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen the Tamil Tigers implicated in these bombings thus far. Have you?

No. I didn't realize there were so many groups there. "Religious extremists" is all that has been identified so far on the DW (German) News, with a list of three or four possible groups.

Rioting monks are one of the recent activist groups. That just sounds so bizarre.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I haven't either, and I'm not clear why they would be targeting Christian churches (and not Buddhist temples) either, though I confess a great deal of ignorance about the group, aside from the generalities we tend to hear on the news here in the US.

Defense Minister Ruwan Wijewarden has said the terrorists have been identified and are religious extremists, but he did not identify which religion.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Defense Minister Ruwan Wijewarden has said the terrorists have been identified and are religious extremists, but he did not identify which religion.
Probably best not to, for the safety of adherents of whichever religion is named. When people are grieving and hurting, they don't always discriminate between 'extremists' and 'normal believers'.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Probably best not to, for the safety of adherents of whichever religion is named. When people are grieving and hurting, they don't always discriminate between 'extremists' and 'normal believers'.
Agree. I think it's an eminently sensible response in a nation with complex religious/ethnic rifts like Sri Lanka (though I can't help wondering if the government would be so reserved, were the terrorists definitely Tamil Hindus).

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It just gets sadder. Sri Lankan security forces have raided a thought to be the residence of Zaharan Hashim (the likely mastermind of the Easter Sunday bombings), and four people detonated explosives. 15 are dead, including several children living in the compound. It's horrific that innocents are caught up in this, no matter what their parents are guilty of.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/27/world/asia/sri-lanka-bombings.html

I ache for all the innocents who will suffer backlash because they share the terrorists' religion.

Last edited: