Fans mourning Avengers end

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
A headline from the latest issue of the Hollywood Reporter reads: Fans Are Already Mourning The Avengers.

Not me. I've OD'd on them. I skipped Infinity War and will skip Endgame. I mean, really, a war where most of the action is hand-to-hand combat and the like?

The only one I care to follow now is Black Widow. And MAYBE Antman and the Wasp.

soulrodeo

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
I tapped out after Ragnarok. I think it hit peak with that film. I tried Black Panther but I had MCU fatigue and couldn't make it through.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if the 'End of the Avengers' is going to include a lot of character deaths, but, the best way to not have to mourn is to not see the movie. It may be out there, but if you never see the deaths, they didn't really happen, and you can just continue with everything as it was. ('Cause if the Avengers are a moneymaker, they'll be baaaack, even if only in comic book form.)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the point of this thread. That others are mourning their favorite characters but the folks in this thread don't care because they don't watch or stopped watching the movies?

Regardless of who dies in the newest Avengers movie, fans know which actors' contracts are up, so they know who they probably won't be seeing anymore. These are characters they've been introduced to in this incarnation for over a decade, so it's not surprising they've formed an emotional attachment to them. On top of that, the end of Infinity Wars was pretty impactful, even when characters who died have upcoming movies and you know you'll see them again. In Endgame, there are no restrictions on what they can do to some of their top players.

Whether Tony Stark dies in Endgame or he gets married, has a kid, and retires from the superhero business for good, I don't begrudge a fan their sadness that they won't be seeing him in any future Marvel movies after 11 years of watching this incarnation of him.
I don't know if the 'End of the Avengers' is going to include a lot of character deaths, but, the best way to not have to mourn is to not see the movie. It may be out there, but if you never see the deaths, they didn't really happen, and you can just continue with everything as it was. ('Cause if the Avengers are a moneymaker, they'll be baaaack, even if only in comic book form.)
This assumes that the mourning is about deaths. The mourning is about losing the characters. Not watching the movie doesn't solve that and deprives the fan of the goodbye they might need.

Have you guys never finished a series and been satisfied with the ending, but sad that you can't follow those characters anymore?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I guess I don't understand the point of this thread. That others are mourning their favorite characters but the folks in this thread don't care because they don't watch or stopped watching the movies?

Regardless of who dies in the newest Avengers movie, fans know which actors' contracts are up, so they know who they probably won't be seeing anymore. These are characters they've been introduced to in this incarnation for over a decade, so it's not surprising they've formed an emotional attachment to them. On top of that, the end of Infinity Wars was pretty impactful, even when characters who died have upcoming movies and you know you'll see them again. In Endgame, there are no restrictions on what they can do to some of their top players.

Whether Tony Stark dies in Endgame or he gets married, has a kid, and retires from the superhero business for good, I don't begrudge a fan their sadness that they won't be seeing him in any future Marvel movies after 11 years of watching this incarnation of him.

This assumes that the mourning is about deaths. The mourning is about losing the characters. Not watching the movie doesn't solve that and deprives the fan of the goodbye they might need.

Have you guys never finished a series and been satisfied with the ending, but sad that you can't follow those characters anymore?

+1

Personally, I burned out on the endlessly interconnected Marvel universe several movies ago, when it seemed that you couldn't watch one movie without it being 1/3 setup for another installment, 1/3 callbacks and references to previous works or comic books I hadn't read (without knowledge of which one would be utterly lost), and maybe the rest actual plot and story within its own framework, but I know the power of fandom and the attachment one can form to fictional characters, and I wouldn't dream of mocking that.

Yes, ultimately, these things we love are just words on a script spoken by an actor, embellished with CGI and a soundtrack, and projected onto a screen (or words typed on a page, sometimes enhanced with images.) With reboots and time travel and alternate universes, none of it is permanent anyway; there's a zillion iterations of any given character in these movies, and most have died at least once, to be resurrected in a new format or offshoot. But the emotions, the sense of wonder when things go right and the sense of tragedy when things go wrong... that's all real. It's real to the characters, and it's real to the fans.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the deep interconnection doesn't interest me. I saw an article in the local paper: 'if you missed the first 21 Avengers movies, catch up here before seeing Endgame', and thought what maniac would want to see the 22nd movie in a continuous series if they'd missed every previous instalment? what I hope is that future movies in the series I care about, e.g. GOTG 3, remain as standalones and don't have endless callbacks to the Avengers now.

But enjoy Endgame if you have been anticipating it.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I wasn't mourning the Avengers beforehand, but I had seen enough of the MCU to bawl for the last half hour of the movie (at least)

Also, what i found of the catch-up articles is that the movies they suggested you could skip (which often were ones I had skipped) were more heavily involved than you might expect. I lucked out that as I jumped around between the 3 channels that were showing Marvel movies on Friday night, I caught a lot of scenes that turned out to give this movie more meaning. Some of those things I would've remembered from the first time I watched those movies, and some would have been complete mysteries to me. I still would've understood the movie (as long as you didn't miss Infinity Wars, I think most could figure the basics out), but my viewing was enhanced by those little elements or at least having an introduction to what happened in the movies I had previously skipped.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I am mourning the loss of the Avengers films. For a decade I looked forward with some level of excitment to each new Marvel movie. There will be Marvel movies coming out for years to come, but these 22 films were interconnected in hitherto unheard of ways, making this series of movies, the so-called Infinity Saga, unique in the history of motion pictures; so I'm less excited about the future films in the same way. I'm actually at a place in my life where family and friends are dropping like flies, where my government is falling into fascism, where I'm working so much harder for so much less, and these Marvel movies have given me something to look forward to. And without giving away too many spoilers, I will just say that it won't be the same moving forward. Sure, I'm in the bag for Black Panther 2, Dr. Strange 2, and future Spiderman films, but that's about it.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
...what maniac would want to see the 22nd movie in a continuous series if they'd missed every previous instalment?

Ooh! Ooh! I know the answer to this one!

My coworker is that maniac!

She's in her early 20s and had no interest in the series as she was growing up, so she gave the whole thing a pass. With all the hype of "End Game," however, my OTHER coworkers convinced her it was worth the effort, so over the past couple weeks, she's been working her way through all the films with them cheering her on and exchanging opinions of each film as she gets to them.

They're all having a grand old time and I have to say, it's been very entertaining to observe from the next desk over.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I

That’s me with every good book I finish.

I really enjoyed the Avengers series. No one has ever connected so many movies together like this. It’s been awesome, and I am sad it’s over.

The only one I care to follow now is Black Widow.

Oh. Uh...

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Let's be frank here.

No one has to like any specific thing. Everyone has their own tastes.

But what good does it do for oneself to complain about how others feel about that which they enjoy? To demean them for how they're responding to the end of something that's brought them happiness and excitement? To mock them for how others' creations have inspired such emotion in them?

And as writers, wouldn't we all want to have such passionate, devoted fans of our work?

The time spent on negativity towards things one doesn't enjoy and those who enjoy them could be instead spent on positivity for the things one does enjoy and sharing that joy.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A headline from the latest issue of the Hollywood Reporter reads: Fans Are Already Mourning The Avengers.

Not me. I've OD'd on them. I skipped Infinity War and will skip Endgame. I mean, really, a war where most of the action is hand-to-hand combat and the like?

The only one I care to follow now is Black Widow. And MAYBE Antman and the Wasp.

That's fine for you, but why dump on the fans who anticipated and enjoyed Infinity War and Endgame? What's that do for you?

If you think those two films were made up of only a war where most of the action is hand-to-hand combat and the like, but haven't actually seen them, you're not coming from an informed opinion so much as a personal aversion.