Do you expect lyrics?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
So I've been thinking about this as I work on this book. I've seen several books in YA about singers or bands and sometimes they include lyrics that the author has written but sometimes they don't. For me personally, when I come across a passage with poetry or lyrics, I skim through it. Without the music to accompany it, lyrics written out don't mean much to me. However, I'm writing a book where one of the characters is a songwriter, and I wonder if a reader would feel cheated to not have lyrics written out.

How do you feel about original lyrics written in a novel?

Would you feel cheated if a book with a songwriting MC didn't at least include one set of lyrics (vs. what he's feeling as he's writing them/listening to another character sing them and the reaction from others to them)?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Yeah, that's something I would like to see. Doesn't have to be a lot. Maybe not even a whole song, just a stanza or the chorus. Maybe not even any good ones, like writing some out, then crumbling them and tossing them into the trash. But if that's the character's job, I want to see them doing it and the results.

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Maggie. If the character is a songwriter, it would add to the story if the reader saw some of the lyrics. Unless, of course, the songs are instrumentals. :)

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Same. I usually skim lyrics as well for the reasons you mentioned--they don't feel the same to me without the music there. But if the character is a singer/songwriter, not having them there at least once would probably feel a little off. Doesn't have to be a long excerpt. Shorter IMHO is probably more likely to be read rather than skipped.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Cool, thanks, guys! That was my feeling too, but if I could get away without making up lyrics, I was going to pounce on the opportunity :greenie

ETA: I like the idea of him making up some crappy lyrics and tossing them at some point (what? Maggie had an idea I liked? Big surprise there) as well as at least part of a good song near the end.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If you keep the bits of lyrics really short, it takes the heat off having to actually write a song that sounds good without the music. Maybe write more about the process, what the songwriter is thinking about the lyrics?