Ham help!

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Finally, after all these years, I get to make ham, I was so looking forward to making this!

The problem?

I picked up a fresh ham instead of a city ham and every place around me has either country/cottage hams or those precooked boneless spiraled over-sugared monstrosities!

Is there anything I can do to either the cooking temperature/cooking time to make the recipe work or am I actually worrying over nothing?

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of city vs. country ham, so I can't wait to see where this goes.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Bad news, Red Rajah -- a fresh ham is just a big pork roast. You have to cook it like a big pork roast. You can apply the ham glaze to the outside. But the final result will be roasted pork with a yummy glaze, and not a glazed ham.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Any changes to the cooking temperature or time though to deal with the fact it's not been cured beforehand?

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Relatively low and slow. Marinade/rub at least overnight, let sit on counter for about 1/2 hour before putting in 325° oven for 3 hours (skin side up), then up the oven to 375° for about another hour. Or you can do 2 hours at 350°, then down to 325° for another 3 1/2 hours, then up to 400° for 20-30 min to get the skin crispy.

*I usually go with the 2nd option, making pernil (Dominican style pork)

Last edited: