Bumping into someone? Horrible character introduction???

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say if it's someone they already know, it could work. But for bumping into a stranger and falling in love at first sight, it seems lazy...

I guess it might depend on where someone lives or a person's age, but I don't understand how having a character bump into a stranger and "fall in love" with them at first sight is "lazy" when it happens to some people in real life. I, and other young adults, have experienced having older men who were strangers come up to us and immediately talk about wanting to date us, do things together, etc. Although it felt uncomfortable for most being suddenly asked out like that by a stranger, it still shows that, sometimes, there are real people who feel attracted to others whom they don't know, upon first meeting them.

Once, I also experienced wishing I could've been friends with a college student who I'd seen perform in a college play because I was impressed by his acting.

NINA28

Registered
Reaction score
I think bumping into each other is a cliche, especially when it comes to a couple who will become romantic partners, I see it frequently in romance films and it does irritate me. Plus it tells me nothing about the character really other than they are clumsy or so caught up in their own business they don't pay attention. Neither are traits that are interesting to me. Try doing some research on the "characteristic moment". It's a way to introduce a character in an interesting way that illustrates the important things you need to know immediately.