FB ad help

josephperin

Registered
Reaction score
My India romcom is supposed to be released in June. I ran a test ad on FB. Good click rate in 12 hours. 59, all from India. Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't allow the.IN site to do preorders. Not a single click from the U.S. I thought with the success of Dimple/Rishi and CR Asians there would be some interest in multicultural stories. Wanted to run the video here so I could get some help figuring out what is wrong.

https://www.facebook.com/anuperinchery/videos/2269064039982614/

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I think it’s just a fact that you’re going to have a hard time getting US interest in Indian stories. There are some niches - a few Americans who are interested, some second-generation Indians and NRIs - but for the most part, unless you’ve got the backing of mainstream American publishers the way someone like Jhumpa Lahiri does, the audience that you can find on your own for Indian stuff is largely in in India. That was always my experience writing about Indian movies - I am an American, based in the USA, but the vast majority of my readers, the vast majority of Facebook and Twitter followers, are in India. You’ll have to find a way to do some very targeted marketing - a general blast to a US audience isn’t going to find your market.

:e2coffee:

Last edited:

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Is this your first book, or do you already have others out? I've heard it's generally tough to get pre-orders if you're self-pubbing and just getting started. So many authors out there that everyone gets lost in the shuffle.

Some people use subscription services like KU or Amazon free giveaway days to try out indie authors who are new to them. Once I find an indie author whose writing I really love, I'll pre-order or purchase their books in the future, but I probably wouldn't pre-order someone's book randomly based on an ad. Just being honest. I have no way to know if their writing style is going to work for me. Same goes for trade-pubbed authors.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Last year I experimented by running Facebook ads for one Goodreads giveaway, and doing nothing for the next. (Same book.) The Goodreads signup numbers were essentially equal.

I've found Facebook a nice place to keep in touch with people who are looking for me specifically, but not a useful platform for selling books. YMMV, of course.

josephperin

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all.

I wasn't expecting anyone to preorder, honestly. Thing is, no one from the U.S. even clicked on the link. I would've thought there would at least be some curiosity. :(

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Do you typically find new authors to read through clicking on Facebook ads? If not, how do you find new authors? Is the type of book you wrote the same type you like to read? How do you find other new authors who write books like yours (India romcom) when you want to purchase books?

Richard W. Fairbairn

Registered
Reaction score
I found my Facebook ads totally ineffective. After several hundred alleged clicks in the USA I received two likes from Facebook users in the middle east.

I am happy to pay for advertising if it drives visitors to my novel.

regards

Richard

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I am not your targeted customer (I am Canadian, not American). I am not on Facebook, I don't like video ads. I am not big on rom-coms in general. So I can't help with 'Facebook advertising', but maybe I can help, in general.
I watched your Facebook ad, went to your Amazon listing, then checked that it was available on Amazon.ca Kindle.
I like humorous spy novels, something light, so I might consider a humorous spy story set in a different culture, in a foreign setting. I mean, Western spies are always going to foreign places, why not see what Indian spies are up to?

Not a fan of video ads. Books (or Kindle) are very different from videos. Your ad says very little. The book's blurb is not giving me a feel for the book. Maybe if you had a stock video of Mumbai streets with a pretty girl who might be your character? Something interesting, scene-setting perhaps? More movement than the jiggling cover you've currently got.

If you're making the effort to take out a Facebook ad, why not put a 'Look Inside' sample on your Amazon listing?
Let me get an idea of the humour. There are many different kinds, from wordplay, to slapstick, to observational humor. Give me an idea of your kind.
And, give me a sample of your writing. I kind of know you from AW, but if I'm a total stranger, seeing your book on Amazon, how do I know you can write, that you can write well, and that your subject and style appeal to me.
Also, I would suggest working on your blurb. The point form character description gives me little sense of the story.
And what you've got now has less description of your main character than anyone else. The target's description is almost perfect for a light spy novel.
BTW, is 'target' meant to be the same as 'suspect' in the threat's description,or a different person? It's confusing.
Also, if you're aiming for an American market that may not be familiar with Indian names, I'd emphasise that Seema is female. Maybe change 'child-pickpocket' to 'girl-pickpocket' (which seems a really useful background and skill for a spy :)).

All-in-all,I like humorous spy novels, something light, so I might consider a humorous spy story set in a different culture, in a foreign setting. I mean, Western spies are always going to foreign places, why not see what Indian spies are up to?
And, Auntie sounds interesting - an interfering relative, looking after the spy's best interests (at least in Auntie's eyes) is not a normal feature of spy-fiction.