Quote Originally Posted by Irene Eng View Post
Thanks Michael. I so agree it's a tuition ... but as with all teachers (and anything in between ....), some are excellent while others aren't.
This may actually be the key in finding a good developmental editor. I only know long-time and respected professors who are good at this, and they have published works themselves to back it up. One of the best ways to find one might be to take a course from them first. Not everyone learns or works in the same way. A friend of mine had a fantastic professor who normally teaches graduate level classes but took over her writing class when her original professor was injured in an auto accident and out for the rest of the semester. She published her first three books with help from him over the years, as well as recommendations to agents. Sometimes life works out well.

Also, in response to Siri's comment, there's a difference between fiction and non-fiction work in that you do a lot of the developmental work before you write the book. I've done a fair amount of technical editing and, as part of the process, referenced the order things appear in as well as whether they fit the topic intended. There are quite a few decent technical writers who have English as a second language and approach things in a way their US readers may not. The developmental process can work wonders in making a book sell well.

Hope you have better luck in the future.

Jeff