Maybe I'm just panicking...

MinaJane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.minajanemadeleyauthor.com
... or maybe I should rewrite my entire book. I don't know, I think I need some advice (or possibly a kick in the butt) to calm my nerves a bit.

As I said before, I'm revising my book, trying to clean up all the paragraphs of info dump, deleting unnecessary dialogue tags, and struggling through this "show, don't tell" nightmare.

Up to a point, I was happy that I could see those issues in my work, and improve. Now I'm at chapter 3, it's proving more difficult than expected to re-insert along the way all the info I cut, I'm afraid that as a result my characters are a little (a lot?) weak at the beginning of the story, that some of the MC's reactions might not be easily understandable by the reader... and maybe my characters were too plain from the start... and maybe I should rethink the whole characterization... and maybe the real problem is in the structure and the order in which I show the action, since I'm not telling it whenever I want, anymore... and maybe I should toss it all in the trash and start over...

Or maybe I'm trying so hard to find what's wrong that I can't see anymore what is actually fine.
I can see the shadow of writer's block creeping in the corner of my office and I don't like it.

:cry: Please help me get my mind out of this whirlwind. Any opinion will be helpful, I'm sure.

Last edited:

TheMontess

Registered
Reaction score
Ooft - that sounds like a bit of an emotional blow! Stay strong, MinaJane, you can do this :)

I'm not sure how much you normally like to plot in advance versus writing it as it comes, but it might be helpful to take a step back and look at the big picture. What's the structure of your story? Beginning/middle/end, three acts, major plot points - however works for you.
Once you have that template of what needs to happen, you can compare it to what you've written and identify any gaps, or if anything needs to be moved around. With those "bones" in place, you can add on the flesh of characterisation, etc., with a bit more clarity.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had to have a think before I could reply. At this point, most of what I have to offer is scattered thoughts. (That's so like me.)
  • This happens to us all. We realize what we're writing isn't good in ways X, Y, and Z, and the changing of those things proves far more difficult than we imagined.
  • It's a learning curve. (Ha-ha! I literally typed learning curse.) Forgive yourself for not being really good at this right out of the gate.
  • Don't mess up your original draft. Make these edits to a copy, in case you decide some aspects of the original were better. It'll be there unsullied. Also don't worry about filling up your computer with multiple copies of the same book. Text takes up very little space.
  • Use comments and/or a new document to save and keep track of what you've deleted. If somebody's going to tug her ponytail later and you've deleted the fact that she has long hair because the character description was an infodump, you want to fix that.
  • Accept that this improved draft you're working on my not be the final draft--but also remember each draft gets better.
  • Everybody here has been in your shoes. You wear them better than some.
  • You can do this!

EvilPenguin

Registered
Reaction score
TheMontess and Maryn both have great advice. I just want to add that maybe you should focus on editing one aspect of the story at a time? Go through the entire story once and just look for the info-dump parts. Then go through again and just look at the characterization. It will definitely be a long process, but it'll be worth it in the end.

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
My advice would be to finish your edits, take a break, then go back fresh and reread. It can be really hard to be objective when you're right in the thick of it. Also, sometimes giving yourself time for reflection can help you clear up those problem spots.

MinaJane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you all for the kind words and advice, it helped.
And just posting here was already liberating, somehow. It felt good to get it out of my head and into words!

I'm following a bit of all your advice: I saved a copy of the previous draft and I'm working on another document so that I'm less afraid to delete or move entire paragraphs.
I put down on paper the entire outline and moved around what needed to be. It doesn't seem so daunting now; writing stuff down on paper, with a pencil, always feels comforting :)
I'll try to work layer by layer, focusing first on what info needs to be inserted at what point... and I'll worry about syntax and semantics later!

So, thank you again, you just saved me from a major panic attack :Hug2:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our pleasure. You also get cookies.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
As I said before, I'm revising my book, trying to clean up all the paragraphs of info dump, deleting unnecessary dialogue tags, and struggling through this "show, don't tell" nightmare.

My writing method involves a chapter outline and nothing more. That means that the early chapters are often pure garbage. In the first draft, their only purpose is to get me started. Before long, the story takes off on its own and the characters are fully developed. But those first garbage chapters are the ones that a potential reader will use to decide whether to continue reading. So they deserve a lot of effort. There are two techniques I use.

(1) Rewrite the chapters, sometimes several times, in order to incorporate early character portrayal. This is a process that I have to do just right. I don't try to paint a detailed picture of the characters. Just a few details that are critical to the story, and I let the reader make up the rest. This process has to happen early, because by the end of chapter 1, your reader already has mental images of your characters, especially the main ones, and you tinker with those at your peril. At the same time, there has to be enough movement in the plot to intrigue a reader to carry on.

(2) The second method is to write a first chapter (formerly called a prologue) that may be out of chronological order, but injects something intense, in our genre, an explicit sex scene, in order to entice a reader to plow through those drab early chapters. In one of my stories, I discovered that I had to burrow though five chapters of introductory material before the first sex scene. So I wrote a new chapter 1 set six years earlier, in which my FMC had her first intense sexual encounter. It comes back to haunt her much later in the story.

EDIT: Let me add that Browne and King's 'Self Editing for Fiction Writers' is the most valuable tool a confused writer can have. It has helped me out of may a jam, and I re-read it at intervals just to keep fresh. My copy is at my elbow as I write this.

Dangerous Bill

Last edited:

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Also remember to take a break from editing once in a while. Going layer-by-layer can seem like a long and daunting task, so when you're getting frustrated, save it, close the program, walk away, grab a lemonade (or your preferred drink), and breathe. Watch some TV, cook dinner, etc.

My method is "just write it". I might write out some notes if I need them before writing a chapter, but regardless, I just write. Which usually means my first drafts are extremely messy. So, yes, a short rest between edits is necessary. :)

Kbars

Registered
Reaction score
I am a scatterbrained as it comes with writing. I, like you, have been there. And returned there. And did it again with my edits. Everything posted on this thread is amazing advice! The only thing I can add is to yes do some edits, but don’t let it paralyze you to where you do not add new work to your story. Go back and forth between adding new content and revising the old. This way, writing and editing are not so overwhelming. If you only edit then completing the rest of your story can seem daunting. If you do no edits until you finish the entire story, that is daunting as well.

I know I repeated myself over and over :) I can’t stress how important it is to keep what you do fresh.

I would also suggest you read (or listen to as I did) the book Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott. She has inspired me. She explains the troubles that even successful author has. She has good advice on how she dealt with feelings of doubt how she handled being overwhelmed.

Thank you for posting what you are going through. It reminds me to remember that I am not alone.

You are not alone!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
None of us is alone, which is pretty amazing. Even the most accomplished writers have stood in those shoes.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't begin to tell you how many times I've hit "save as" and then proceeded to butcher my story to the point there is nothing left but bones. But don't be too hard on yourself, every time you sit down and write/edit etc you are growing, learning and that is a good thing. Think about it this way....anybody who has ever learned to do anything has learned through failure, like riding a bicycle or skating or painting or playing the piano.....nobody(well except the rare genius) has to practice and work really hard.

Being a Canadian here's a great quote I like "You miss 100% of the shots you never take" Wayne Gretzky :) So never quite trying and writing and changing things. Maybe you will write the beginnings of a hundred novels....surely one will stick :)

MinaJane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. It feels good to not be alone in this.

I completely re-wrote my 1st chapter, and I still go from thinking it's good (or at least better than the previous version) to finding it horrible again. And then I followed your advice, c.m.n., I stepped away from it for a few days to eat lots of chocolate :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty solid advice for life in general.

fishrobe

Registered
Reaction score
On top of what others have said, I'd just reiterate to take a break for a while. And not just a day or two, but a week or two. Even a month, if you can stomach it that long. Work on something else, or jot down ideas you have for what you're working on now, but don't try to insert them into the story yet.

When you come back you'll be able to see it clearer--either it's not as bad as you thought (we've all been there), or, worst case, it is, but you'll be able to see more clearly what you need to do to fix it.

I've come back to a project only to realize it's not nearly as bad as I thought it was. On the other hand, I've decided to entirely rewrite a 100k word novel from scratch because i decided it was unsalvageable. Both of these decisions came after a hefty break to grow new eyes, though. Either way, don't despair!

MinaJane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, this is exactly what I did... I edited the 4th draft of my 81k words novel last year. Then I walked away for months, worked on some other small things, and got back to it about 2 months ago. I joined this forum because I knew I couldn't edit it further without external advice.
I followed the advice I got here, and it worked, now I see problems that I didn't before... and it's scary, sometimes I get overwhelmed!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those overwhelming problems in your manuscript (or mine, or anybody else's) can always be broken down into little problems of manageable size, though.

Like Maryn-of-Yore, who was impossibly wordy and took fifty words to say what could be said in fifteen. Look at one paragraph. Why is it here, and what information does it give? Do the same thing in half as many words. It's a slow way to go through a book, but man, is it better when you're done.

MinaJane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes, it's slow, and long work... I'm holding on to the positive feeling of knowing what to look for, and being able to see it in my work. I'm not yet sure how/if I can make it better, but I'll get there. At least I'm trying, so it's good :)

Pencrafter

Registered
Reaction score
This is first draft, right? Have you considered mind-mapping to get your structure into a visual form? You can do it on paper, and there are lots of mindmapping software titles out there - many of them free - for Mac, Linux and Windows.

I’ve come to view story problems as gifts: right there on the page is a problem alerting you to it. Far better than to sense something’s wrong, and yet be unable to see it.