Bibliography of Your Work

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
Let's say you're asked to list all of your previously published fiction. You've published your work on your own site; self-published through a large distributor such as Amazon; posted it to crowdfunding sites (like Patreon, Ko-Fi, or Kickstarter) or other platforms (such as Medium or Wattpad); and been published in paying magazines or through a book press. Past payments for your work range from nothing through token semi-pro to pro rates. The reach has varied from tens to XX,000 views.

What do you include or exclude in your bibliography?

I understand a bibliography typically lists each work's title, publisher, and publication date. Do you use any other criteria to organize your list(s)?

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I organized my bibliography (to include cover pics and links for works still in print) by Novels (original), Novels (media tie-in), Novellas (original), Novellas (media tie-in), Short Stories (original), Short Stories (media tie-in), Collections, Non-Fiction, Magazines, Comics

https://www.richardcwhite.com/bibliography

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
Other than on my blog, I only recently created a list of my published fiction (short stories) to add to a submission I made for a novel because the published required it. I listed the story title, where it was published, when it was published, and if it was related to any of the other stories. (I'm writing a cycle of stories about the relationships between fathers and sons.)

I have no idea if this is industry standard (like a resume or CV), but it is informative and comprehensive.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I include things that have been published as books (that includes self-publishing) or that have been published on their own (such as in a magazine). I include reprints and translations in bullet points under the original entry. It's organised by general type of work and then by date.

I exclude things that I think will clutter things. Stories published on my website, Patreon or Wattpad, are often either reprints or originals that are part of the work-in-progress for a collection. So I don't include them, as they'd overwhelm the other entries. However, if I launched a novel on Wattpad first, I would include that, as that would be a significant entry. It's less about the venue and more whether this is really intended as the story's big moment.

I exclude a few things that I don't really want there, simply because I don't want them. I had a market steal a story and later pay me... so we resolved it, but I'm not listing that as a publication. I had a self-published novelette that did terribly, so I removed it from sale. Rather than keep having to explain to people why it's no longer available, I removed it from the bibliography.

I wouldn't send a bibliography that complete with most submissions. Submissions usually want the highlights rather than the full history. Readers visiting the website want something more complete with links to the work where appropriate.

And it's here if you want to see what I mean: http://www.polenthblake.com/words/biblio.html

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I stopped including everything years ago and now generally just do the past decade. Anything that got published, nothing unpublished, categorized and sorted chronographically.

Sort of Like:

Novels

2009 - Big Story
2011 - Big Story Two
2015 - Little Story
2018 - Scary Story

Non-Fiction
2010 - How-To One
2012 - How-To Two
2013 - Big Book Of Stuff
2018 - Book Of Other Stuff

Articles