Not Yet Published Author Website questions

Langadune

Harley Writer
Registered
Reaction score
The part of Kansas that doesn't look like the part
I see a great deal of advice for author website, nearly all recommending info on your books and published works. Great advice and I will do that... when I have a finished novel to talk about. I have a website created and a few personal and a few random blog entries to post but otherwise not much content to contribute. I'm not doing this "just to sell books" although that is part of the endgame. I just want to build up a following and engage with some people... hopefully a fan base in the future.

Does anyone have examples or advice for an author's website before you have a published or completed novel to promote? Thanks in advance.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Before I wrote any of my books I had a website that I used to host short stories about my checkered past, Indian Motorcycle history, motorcycle safety tips, and about martial arts. A lot of that stuff ended up being baby steps taken toward writing full length novels.

Langadune

Harley Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Before I wrote any of my books I had a website that I used to host short stories about my checkered past, Indian Motorcycle history, motorcycle safety tips, and about martial arts. A lot of that stuff ended up being baby steps taken toward writing full length novels.

That's more or less where I'm leaning. I have a few unique hobbies and other mainstream interests (like my Harley). I don't really have any short stories as I have only recently been able to dedicate my time in earnest to writing again. I considered posting updates on my novel WIP but am not sure about the value when I really have no fan base or anyone that might even care right now.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
That's more or less where I'm leaning. I have a few unique hobbies and other mainstream interests (like my Harley). I don't really have any short stories as I have only recently been able to dedicate my time in earnest to writing again. I considered posting updates on my novel WIP but am not sure about the value when I really have no fan base or anyone that might even care right now.

You know at this point, just go with it as an exercise in writing. Use it as a way to become comfortable with the writing environment and tools.

If you know the name you'll use on book covers, consider registering it as a domain name.

Langadune

Harley Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I think I might also post progress updates, partly to help make me accountable and like you say to practice with the environment. It might also help so that if/when I develop a following, I already have a site with content.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net

I use my FB author page that's associated with my regular account (personal page) for quick writing status updates, along with science articles (I write Science Fiction), and for short bits about writing in general. Currently I have 244 followers there. I keep my author page fairly active with new material, and reminders of where to get my books. Also, I occasionally post short passages from my WIP, and seek feedback on cover designs.

Now - where I completely fall down is that I have no metrics regarding FB followers that actually buy my books.

I like using FB because so many people are already on it, so they don't have to visit a separate site to get info my my writing - if they're following me, it should end up in their feed.