Deaf history

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:deaf: One hundred and fifty-five years ago today, President Abraham Lincoln signed the act on April 8, 1864, to establish Columbia Institute for the Deaf in Washington, DC, now Gallaudet University.

Note: American Sign Language is truly international. It's signed in Canada, the US, and Mexico, and much of Central America.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray::partyguy::snoopy:It's a great day for communication! Nice to be reminded that sometimes politicians do good things.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
:deaf: One hundred and fifty-five years ago today, President Abraham Lincoln signed the act on April 8, 1864, to establish Columbia Institute for the Deaf in Washington, DC, now Gallaudet University.

Note: American Sign Language is truly international. It's signed in Canada, the US, and Mexico, and much of Central America.

And yet, a Deaf track team got off a United flight the other day only to be greeted by a dozen wheelchairs. :gaah

Yay Galludet!

Canada also uses LSQ! I didn't know Mexico used ASL -- that seems weird, why not Spanish sign? Heh. I heard Haiti was the country with sign closest to ASL, but I dunno!

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
And yet, a Deaf track team got off a United flight the other day only to be greeted by a dozen wheelchairs. :gaah

Yay Galludet!

Canada also uses LSQ! I didn't know Mexico used ASL -- that seems weird, why not Spanish sign? Heh. I heard Haiti was the country with sign closest to ASL, but I dunno!

The sign used in much of Mexico isn't exactly the same, if I remember correctly it's about 75%. In kiddo's school Deaf parents from Mexico are generally fine with standard ASL interpreters, but those from DR (and Haiti) sometimes need their kiddos or specific interpreters to help.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Even in the US, ASL, though most universally signed, isn't the only sign language. Two others I know of are SEE (signed exact English) which has more parts of speech and uses English grammar and much less common PSE (pidgin signed English) which mingles British sign in some locales, Australian sign in others, etc.

Last edited: