Book club presentations

Ergo

Chronic State of Query
Registered
Reaction score
If I'm in the wrong forum, I wont be offended if the post is relocated.

Anyway, I have been invited to speak about my book to a small (15-20 people) local book club. Now I've done my share of speaking at national forums about trade association topics, but that was all cut and dried product-related. The novel however, I just don't know where to start....there are just so many different elements to address and it's a challenge to try to make smooth segues between each one.

So I'm asking... what types of experiences have you had with similar presentations? What works...what to avoid.

Thank you in advance for your kind responses.

Respectfully,

Ergo

Last edited:

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
A group that small, all or most of whom have already read your book, can be as informal as a coffee klatch. Typically, once introduced and opening with a few remarks about the book, one doesn't deliver a lecture; one invites conversation by offering to answer questions. The more relaxed and open the author appears, the more readily will momentum of discourse develop. Authors are well advised to just be themselves, and keep their sense of humor at the ready. Never engage in argument (despite the tendency of some to test you) and respect all viewpoints (one never knows what might be learned). Overall, have fun.

Ergo

Chronic State of Query
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight ironmikezero. I think you nailed it by citing 'conversation' over 'presentation.' One thing that does have me a bit concerned is the lack of sales as the big day approaches. It might be awkward to chat with a group that is oblivious to the story. But I can always flip into 'after dinner speaker' mode and share anecdotes and pimp pages. A guy with a fingernail that long always has curiosities to chat about.

Thanks for sharing,

Respectfully,

Ergo

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, you might want to contact whomever invited you and see if any advance complementary copies would be appropriate for interested club members. Offer to sign these copies at the meeting.