Other Free Services Similar To Amazon

barbarairvin

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any free services similar to Amazon that don't require you to give out your bank account information in order to publish a book? I live with someone who refuses to let me use the service because we share the bank account. I'm not about to move out over something like this, but if I cannot get accepted by a traditional publisher, I don't know what I'll do. It's really awful when people you love and care about doesn't want to give even a little and stop being so paranoid in order to help someone's dream happen. Writing means the world to me, and when I'm not getting published, I feel as though I'm being crushed along with my goals.

Barbara

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Are there any free services similar to Amazon that don't require you to give out your bank account information in order to publish a book? I live with someone who refuses to let me use the service because we share the bank account. I'm not about to move out over something like this, but if I cannot get accepted by a traditional publisher, I don't know what I'll do. It's really awful when people you love and care about doesn't want to give even a little and stop being so paranoid in order to help someone's dream happen. Writing means the world to me, and when I'm not getting published, I feel as though I'm being crushed along with my goals.

Barbara

I'll abstain from giving relationship advice, but is there a reason you can't open another bank account for this purpose?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I know people who don't want to give their bank details to any website, and that's perhaps a wise precaution in this day and age of digital theft and scams. So I don't hold it against them personally or regard it as a failing. Oddly enough they don't even hesitate to ask me if I can buy things for them online, but that's another story. :)

Having no bank account makes it impossible for you to get paid royalties, though.

Have you done the obvious and searched for "apply for bank account online" or similar?

-Derek

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
I'd consider it a best practice to have a separate business banking account anyway, so open one in your own name or your business name if you establish one when the time comes.

barbarairvin

Registered
Reaction score
It has to do with me being disabled. Because I live with someone, I have a payee. Unfortunately, she does not understand the needs of writers.

Barbara

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
By free services, do you mean other retailers? For the biggies (Barnes and Noble, Apple, Kobo, and Google Play) you have to give out your bank information or else you won't get paid. There are some smaller sites that pay through Paypal but the big stores require you having a bank account to get paid. Sorry. As someone suggested, seems like your best bet is to try to get some kind of account for yourself.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
You can publish on Smashwords, which will get you in all stores except Amazon and GooglePlay, but this does include B&N, Kobo, Apple, etc., plus some libraries. Payment is via PayPal, which means you can link to a credit card instead of a bank account. Unless your credit is horrendous, I know you can get approved for credit cards online. Link on payment is here: https://www.smashwords.com/about/supportfaq#Royalties.

Uh, to reply to the emotional content--I feel your pain. Truly. Nobody I love reads anything I write, not even the two family members who did for a little while. And it hurts--a lot. But dealing with that sort of thing seems to be part of living. It's a reminder to me of how important it is to be supportive of those we claim to love.

Your ongoing situation, however, seems abusive in nature. This is from years of being an abuse survivor and the resultant counseling. If you can change this, you should. A relationship where someone is treated with contempt isn't good for either the abuser or the abused.

That's not to say that the two things are linked. Go ahead and explore the Smashwords thing. But afterward, perhaps take courage from this to explore whatever counseling options you have. There may be some inexpensive choices available, particularly if you can become involved in groups like Al-Anon. They even have a toll-free number: 888-425-2666. I wish I had more resources to offer, but so much of what there is depends on where you live.

It's your life, and you certainly don't need my permission for how you choose to live it. But please, at least consider it. The recommendation comes from experience and concern, for what that's worth. My wish is for you to be well, at least within the limits of what you can achieve.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I use Draft2Digital for some retailers and get paid by PayPal. I'd look into that. You can upload to Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Apple, and I think even Google Play now (plus others) through D2D. Of course, you'll have to link your PayPal account to something...but I think Cathleen is right that it can just be a credit card?

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Duh. I forgot about Smashwords and Draft 2 Digital. I abandoned Smashwords months ago meaning I don't even put books on there anymore. I don't think I've ever made 20 dollars there. I mostly used it for their site, not their premium listing. Being wide, I like to have my books anywhere I can get them. I didn't go through their premium listing but for a few books just to reach some of their smaller sites. I am direct with every retailer except Apple which I use D2D for. Yes, both pay by Paypal so that might be your only option. I was thinking in terms of going direct since that's the method I prefer. I'd go direct with Apple if I had a Mac and I'm not paying for that Mac-in-Cloud or whatever.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:

TrinaM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trinamalone.com
The options given here are all good.

Re: the bank account, this may be time to talk to the person who is helping you and if necessary get a 3rd party to help explain. Respect their fear of giving out account details online and explain that you want a private account just for this, so there will not be any worries about it over-drafting and coming back on them. My husband was very afraid of PayPal and would not give out any accounts. It took a while, but he came around. For me, having my own bank account became critical. There are also some online banks and credit unions that you may be able to apply to that will help you have an account that you don't physically have to go to a branch to deal with. PayPal will also issue you a debit card once your account reaches some obscure level internally. Then you can just use that debit card to pay for things. Surprisingly, they even offer a small cash back bonus when I use it. Mine can't be over-drawn, and has worked extremely well. While I'm not 100% disabled, I don't get to the bank often, so having money going into that digital account and accessible right away has been really nice. I did need a backup financial account, though, and that's where opening your own account will come in.

It sounds like the person you're living with probably does care about you. Somehow they just need to understand that you can't sell books if you can't get paid. You aren't looking at investing a ton of money, but rather just creating a way to get your money. Of course, Amazon and the others WILL pay you by check once your royalties reach a certain level. So that might be a good backup plan.

Hang in there.