One space between sentences, or two?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I use two because that’s what my fingers automatically do. If I want one, Scrivener will compile it that way or I can find/replace the two into one.

However, I did have an editor who deleted all my extra spaces while using track changes. My version of Word showed every single deletion in the margins. If she had other deletions or insertions she wanted me to tackle, I never saw them, because if I hadn’t turned them off, I wouldn’t have found the real comments

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I've always done two and never had a problem until recently when an author told me that in Microsoft Word you only need one space. I still prefer two.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
I was taught to type with two. Then i had a job working for a computer programmer who standardised on one. So I learnt one. Then my next job they insisted on two......(and were a little snotty that I didn't already know that.) The programmer boss was a decade or so younger than the next boss. My general impression was that two was a hang over from typewriters, but I have no supporting data. Thought the post about which sort of type it was makes a difference was interesting.
Only comment relevant to writing is having seen one of the judges for a fairly large flash fiction competition say on their blog that they ignored all entries with two spaces after the full stop. Forgotten the exact wording of their reason but it was something like that person wasn't worth reading.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I grew up with word processors. To be honest, I never knew two spaces was ever a thing before I read about it on this forum.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
1. It's two spaces after a mono-spaced font like Courier, and one space after a proportionately spaced font like Times or Bookman or Palatino. In a monospaced typeface every character has exactly the same width; an upper-case W is just as wide as as lower-case e. In a proportionately spaced typeface every character is different in terms of the space it takes, and the period character (like the ! and the ?) already has extra space, so you only need one space.

2. This isn't "new"; it's been true for more than a hundred years.

3. People associate it with typewriters because for a very long time (until the 1980s or so) most typewriters used mono-spaced faces, so you needed two periods.

Anyone who obsesses over this and isn't a typesetter is a newt. It's dead easy to change, and an editor who flagged every single extra space is not using the tools built into MSWord to do his or her job. If it's a pattern throughout the MS. flag a single instance and explain. Flagging every instance means that the file will become bloated and is more likely to be corrupted. It's entirely unprofessional.

* If you can, use one space after a period or other terminal punctuation when you're using mono-spaced faces and two spaces after a period or other terminal punctuation when you're using proportionately spaced faces.

* If your editor or agent has a particular fetish for one-or-two spaces, or submission instructions specify something, do a search-and-replace before you submit. Do the search and replace on a copy of the file, and make two passes, in case you've got an instance where you mistakenly have three spaces. It's pretty common to do that.

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
1. It's one space after a mono-spaced font like Courier, and two spaces after a proportionately spaced font like Times or Bookman or Palatino.

I think that was a typo -- should be two spaces with a mono font, one with a proportional.

(That's why 2 spaces was standard with typewriters.)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I think that was a typo -- should be two spaces with a mono font, one with a proportional.

(That's why 2 spaces was standard with typewriters.)

Yep; cold medication is messing up my life; thank you!

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
Yep; cold medication is messing up my life; thank you!

I saw the same thing, but refrained from saying anything for fear of a permanent ban. I mean, if I had the power I'd ban everyone who insists on using two spaces after a period. MWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
I've been writing for over thirty years and although I have heard of two spaces being a 'thing,' I have never seen the point of it. I suppose there was a valid reason at some time in history, but it has certainly had no importance for me in all that time.

Two spaces are a waste of space, in my opinion!

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
"2 spaces till I die" would make a great tee shirt slogan, I'd wear it, 'cause that's how I roll.

As has been often said, it's really easy to search/replace 2 spaces to 1 space once you've finished.

-Derek

Ask and ye shall receive:

https://www.cafepress.com/sillyshirts/15932914

The fun part is that Cafe Press is doing 15% off site wide, so code MAY2019 gets the t-shirt from $17 down to under $15! LOL

:)

FYI - I'm not really expecting anyone to buy these - but since he asked...did it as a gag

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Haha cool beans, although I'd want it in a Courier font at a much smaller size, so curious people have to lean in close to read it. If they wrinkle their nose or otherwise indicate their distaste, I want them within punching range.

if I had the power I'd ban everyone who insists on using two spaces after a period. MWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA
All my posts have 2 spaces. You just can't see the 2nd space because your browser ignores it. ALL THIS TIME, I have been contaminating you.

-Derek

Last edited:

sch91086

Registered
Reaction score
Wow- I am not what I like to think of as old (32!) and I use two spaces. I was trained that way and now it's a die hard habit. Are agents really discriminating against this? Plus, I like the way it looks.

Speaking from the job perspective- I am a recruiter. A) I don't discriminate based on age anyway, but B) I do not have time to figure out how many spaces people are using. (Nor do I care.)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Wow- I am not what I like to think of as old (32!) and I use two spaces. I was trained that way and now it's a die hard habit. Are agents really discriminating against this? Plus, I like the way it looks.

Speaking from the job perspective- I am a recruiter. A) I don't discriminate based on age anyway, but B) I do not have time to figure out how many spaces people are using. (Nor do I care.)

If an agent says use a single space or use two spaces or use Courier or use a pink Sharpie, do what the agent says when you submit to that agent.

An agent who rejects a ms. solely because you didn't single-space (vs. it's crap writing or you didn't follow their specific submission instructions) is probably not a very clued-in agent.

Double-spacing is so very common, still, that typesetters have specific tools to deal with it.

But yeah, generally, use single spaced for proportionately spaced fonts (Times, Times New Roman, Bookman, Palatino, etc.) and double spaces for mono space fonts (Courier, Courier Neue, etc.).

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
All my posts have 2 spaces. You just can't see the 2nd space because your browser ignores it. ALL THIS TIME, I have been contaminating you.

-Derek

Your browser, smug in its superior grasp of typographic conventions, has been quietly removing the offending spaces in a not at all passive aggressive manner while chuckling to itself and giving you a virtual pat on the head.* You tried.

* I don't do this. On every document my boss sends me. All the time. Nope, not me. :greenie

jwhite1979

Registered
Reaction score
Two spaces, industry standards be damned. It's easy enough to find and replace the double spaces for singles, so I don't see any reason to force myself to change a habit that I rather enjoy.

Brad Robertson

Registered
Reaction score
The industry standards used to be much more constricting with typewriters, as has been mentioned. You can't just go back and change something easily on a typewriter, because it can offset every page and mandate more changes and just EW. Thankfully we live in computer world. Very, very few professionals are going to genuinely care which habit you fall into. Although, in my experience, people are now setting the trend that one space is preferred.

So when in doubt, one space. I wouldn't use two unless your employer/client/target outlines such a rule in the guidelines they provide.

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
Oh goody, this thread is back! :e2dance:

Team one space, all the way!

:e2fight:

Down, you two-space troglodytes. Hidebound, blinkered dust mites, all of you. May your wasted keystrokes blight you with the Syndrome of the Carpal Tunnel!

Here’s what we do to your pointless pixels in my town: :flamethrower

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I grew up with two spaces but trained myself to use one a long time ago, around the time I realized I didn’t have to submit stuff in Courier anymore. Now I work with a reporter who has partially retrained herself, i.e., sometimes she has one space and sometimes she has two. So I’ve trained myself to spot the extra spaces. (In short pieces, finding and replacing isn’t worth the trouble.)

If switching seems hard, consider that I’ve had to train my fingers to follow two different style sheets. When I’m at work, I need to space around em-dashes and put no spaces between the periods in ellipses. When I work with an agent or publisher, exact opposite. My fingers have learned to switch automatically, sort of.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
1 space or I kill you :hooray:

Yzjdriel

forgetful elephant
Registered
Reaction score
I’ve been using 2 spaces since I learned to touch-type in 3rd Grade because my teacher said “one space for words, 2 spaces for sentences” one time in class. It was probably a holdover from her preference for monospaced fonts, where such spacing is truly necessary, but all the same.

Any agent who tosses my manuscript because of it mistakenly thinking I’m “old” is not worth my time. I just turned 22 2 days ago - I’m not old by any stretch of the imagination!

kyliesmiley16

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve been using 2 spaces since I learned to touch-type in 3rd Grade because my teacher said “one space for words, 2 spaces for sentences” one time in class. It was probably a holdover from her preference for monospaced fonts, where such spacing is truly necessary, but all the same.

Any agent who tosses my manuscript because of it mistakenly thinking I’m “old” is not worth my time. I just turned 22 2 days ago - I’m not old by any stretch of the imagination!

Same here. 27 and have been doing 2 spaces since I was 10. The touch typing program taught me that, and my computer teacher in primary school taught me that. It's a habit I'll never change :D Plus I prefer the way it looks with two spaces. Seems I'll be doing find and replace on my manuscripts if the time ever comes for that!

thorbjorn

Registered
Reaction score
Unsurprising given that I'm 19, but I use one space for everything, always. It's just how I was taught. I wasn't aware that the two space method was even a thing until recently.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
When I took my business studies course back in the early Jurassic, I was trained to type on ancient typewriters. The two space gap was the way to go and I stuck to that throughout my work life.

I have now seen the light and swapped. Took some doing, but I now single space after a full stop.