Hashtags ??

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Old guy here. We once called these things pound signs, and now... somehow... inexplicably they are tied to search results. So, how do they work? Where do you use them? And can anyone give me clues about good ones to use?

Last edited:

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
A fun game to play with teenagers is "Guess What a Pound Sign Looks Like". Then they talk about the use of hashtags.

Or, I guess I can start an answer....

A hashtag is a symbol used to tell a system to index a phrase. Hashtags are a popular organizational tool on social media, especially on Twitter (a microblogging site) and Instagram (known for social updates using photos).

Twitter's Help describes how to use the symbol.

https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/how-to-use-hashtags

ETA: I found the link I'd wanted to share. Writer's Relief wrote an article today that is still a good reference.

https://medium.com/@writersrelief/5...-for-authors-and-how-to-use-them-cc56490b67d7

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Some good hashtags to use for writers on Twitter: #amwriting #writingcommunity #5amwritersclub and there's a whole bunch more, but these are some that work for me. It's really a good idea to engage in the writing community there.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I recall seeing hashtags used on Facebook - I guess you put them in with your message content?
For my end of the world scifi series, would #scifi #extinction #apocalypse etc. work?

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
I wasn't aware hashtags worked on Facebook, so I can't say which are good tags there. Can you search on each, like "#scifi", to see what kind of content appears? Showing up in results full of real-world extinction events might not help your promotion.