Critters Workshop for SF F and H

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
Searching for threads about "critters" only brings up the existence of critters.org. I'd like to hear if people participate both here and there, and if so, how to make the most of the experience. I'm new here and with critters, but I've already gotten some great training here. I'm up soon in the critters queue and want to make the most of the opportunity. Any past experiences moving between the venues?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pop 'Critters.org' into the Site Specific Google Custom Search Box to the bottom left of this page (it's available on every page) and you should find a few links to old AW threads on this topic. The later the reference number, the more recent the thread.

From what I recall when I took part in Critters. org a few years back, a fair regular commitment is required but all depends what you want from participating.

The SYW Forums here are far more flexible and, of course, don't require a commitment to crit a whole novel.

The Google Custom Search box is a very handy way of quickly checking back threads on any specific topic.

Last edited:

litdawg

Registered
Reaction score
Pop 'Critters.org' into the Site Specific Google Custom Search Box to the bottom left of this page (it's available on every page) and you should find a few links to old AW threads on this topic. The later the reference number, the more recent the thread.

From what I recall when I took part in Critters. org a few years back, a fair regular commitment is required but all depends what you want from participating.

The SYW Forums here are far more flexible and, of course, don't require a commitment to crit a whole novel.

The Google Custom Search box is a very handy way of quickly checking back threads on any specific topic.

Thanks, Bufty! The search function is another thing I've doing all wrong on this site. That Google Custom search box isn't the first option that comes to light, but it sure works much better than the inboard search functions. Thanks! I've found a few threads from the past decade that scratch this itch of mine.

EvilPenguin

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to Critters last year! I actually had a really great experience with it (and met a good writing buddy through it) but it is a heck of a commitment. I haven't been able to do a weekly critique in months and I constantly get emails poking me about it...

With the critiques I got, I made a point to reply to everyone and thanked them for their time and tried to start conversations with the ones that seemed to enjoy the piece. Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of the people on Critters join to make lasting writing connections... My writing buddy is the only person that responded back to my email and we've been communicating ever since. AW is much better for having a longer conversation with someone about your piece if you want to, or if you want to try to find a dedicated beta reader.

I think Critters is something that every writer should at least try out, but I'm not sure if I'd recommend staying active there for an extended period of time. It's great to practice your critiquing skills on others works and feel more anonymous when submitting your own works for critiques, but I think there's so much more to do and learn on AW and you'll be able to communicate with other authors better.

litdawg

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, EP. I started on Critters about a month ago and have done four or five critiques. I almost always get an email back from author, and we've exchanged a message or two more. I'll keep this in mind when my chapters come up in the queue.

litdawg

Registered
Reaction score
Bracing myself for feedback from Critters Workshop on my first four chapters. The last few months have been hard on my writing confidence. Perhaps I should make a preemptive visit to BevMo. Hopefully, I've moved the needle from "crap" to "readable crap." Next on the dial is "interesting crap," followed by, "not bad."

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bracing myself for feedback from Critters Workshop on my first four chapters. The last few months have been hard on my writing confidence. Perhaps I should make a preemptive visit to BevMo. Hopefully, I've moved the needle from "crap" to "readable crap." Next on the dial is "interesting crap," followed by, "not bad."

Nobody wants to see anyone's writing confidence dented - certainly not for any longer than it takes for any benefit to be extracted from whatever knocked the confidence. Good luck with the Critters Workshop responses. :Hug2:

litdawg

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Bufty! They've been mild and vague compared to AW. And only four critiques, so not even close to the 1-1 results I expected from other workshops, e.g. 20 people rotate giving critiques to others and eventually receive 19 in return.

I'll stick with it, though, mostly for the opportunity to have work other than my opener looked at.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya.

Your writing is good and your dedication and determination are good.

I was in critters for a couple months and when my reviews rolled in there was one that put me completely off of the site. This man was insulting about the most ridiculous things (character names, for example), he threw ad hominem at me (no idea why) and all of his insults of my writing were wrapped in language like "If you are serious about writing visit my website and read the pieces I've written. You can even buy my books there."

(I also find the critters website a bit overwhelming, but that probably eases with usage.)

And, the lag time between wanting a critique and being up in the queue as well as the week to get the critiques back, all of it was unwieldy. Like you, I did more critiques than I got back, and found the critiques I got back to be variable and not hugely helpful.

Having said all that, the short story that I submitted was not very good, in hindsight, but I was only a few months into learning fiction at that point.

That's my experience. I would have stuck with it had it not been for the self-promotional insulting jerk that critiqued my story. I was shook by his language and aggressive approach for almost a week.

I mean, there are random critiques here too, but because it is all public, the dynamic is more manageable, and you get to know people. We come to know whose reviews we personally find most helpful. Hope that makes sense. Like, there are so many different ways to write well, and just like we individually have different favorite authors we'd like to emulate, so too are there favorite writers we feel we can learn from.

A friend of mine enjoys critters dot org. Had that one guy not put me off so early in the process, I might have found my groove there.

Last edited: