I'd know that voice anywhere?

MontyBurr

Registered
Reaction score
Good day all,

I’ve composed a couple of posts for your input and help. Sorry if I’m over enthusiastic or have posted in the wrong forum. Here goes:

My novel’s female main character is a non-singing voice-over talent, Audie winner and extraordinary mimic. Her own voice is lower than normal. Her voice is important to her character development. My frame of reference of female voice talent may differ from the intended audience. So to the question:

Of the following names, which low-register voice could you immediately identify: Scarlett Johansson, Kathleen Turner, Lauren Bacall, Demi Moore, Morgan Fairchild, Kirstie Alley, Julia Roberts, Diana Krall.

Bonus round: Name three contemporary actresses or non-singing voice talents you could identify in a single sentence regardless of pitch. (Please don’t say Roseann Barr.)

I value your opinions and brickbats.

MontyBurr

Registered
Reaction score
I'd know that voice anywhere PT 2

To the collective:

I posted another question here and this one is along the same lines.

My main female character is a voice talent and incredible mimic capable of male and female mimicry.

Could you give me the names of three contemporary male actors/voice talents you could identify in a single sentence? I’m not looking for singers, just speakers. (If Ben Affleck called me on the phone, I couldn’t place the voice.)

I’ll consider your valuable input and be quiet for a while.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Good day all,

I’ve composed a couple of posts for your input and help. Sorry if I’m over enthusiastic or have posted in the wrong forum. Here goes:

My novel’s female main character is a non-singing voice-over talent, Audie winner and extraordinary mimic. Her own voice is lower than normal. Her voice is important to her character development. My frame of reference of female voice talent may differ from the intended audience. So to the question:

Of the following names, which low-register voice could you immediately identify: Scarlett Johansson, Kathleen Turner, Lauren Bacall, Demi Moore, Morgan Fairchild, Kirstie Alley, Julia Roberts, Diana Krall.

Bonus round: Name three contemporary actresses or non-singing voice talents you could identify in a single sentence regardless of pitch. (Please don’t say Roseann Barr.)

I value your opinions and brickbats.

Why not Roseanne?

I think I might be good at this, though I don't know if I'm better than the general public. I can identify voice actors in animated movies and commercials that my friends tend to not notice or not be able to identify easily beyond it sounding vaguely familiar. Definitely Turner, Moore, Roberts, Alley and maybe Johanssen (I did recognize her doing a vo for a doc once). Bacall -- I've heard her, but I don't think I'd recognize her and the name Morgan Fairchild is vaguely familiar in that I've heard or seen it but I got nuttin.

As to people I could identify -- tons... I recognized in animated things (I don't tend to care about the cast so didn't know they were in things) or commercials that I recall: Phyllis Smith (super recognizable) and Mindy Kaling, Reese Witherspoon, Tina Fey, Holly Hunter, Sarah Vowell (though she's hella recognizable, voice-wise), Any Sedaris (I was at a David Sedaris reading once, walking through the lobby when I heard a Sedaris voice -- it was a non-entertainment-based sister I didn't recognize visually, but was sure she was a Sedaris bc of the voice. A couple minutes later, Amy came in, joined her and they ended up sitting together in front of me.)...Cate Blanchette was in some movie all made up differently and I didn't realize it was her until she spoke (that took me a minute to place tho), lots of people. Betty White, oh and Allison Janney....

To the collective:

I posted another question here and this one is along the same lines.

My main female character is a voice talent and incredible mimic capable of male and female mimicry.

Could you give me the names of three contemporary male actors/voice talents you could identify in a single sentence? I’m not looking for singers, just speakers. (If Ben Affleck called me on the phone, I couldn’t place the voice.)

I’ll consider your valuable input and be quiet for a while.

Jon Hamm (instantly knew he was doing the Mercedes commercials when I heard the first one); John Krasinski (same with those insurance commercials); Hugh Jackman, Keanu Reeves, a lot ...

I'm excluding people with accents not native to my country (who generally speak only with the accent as opposed to ppl with other native accents I can pick out when they're doing American or other accents not their own), because I don't think it's hard for most people to pick out John Oliver or Daniel Craig, or Craig Ferguson or whomever.

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I have difficulty identifying voices without a face to them (don't ask me who's on a conference call. Doesn't matter that I've worked with these people for 10 years), but a few people that I can maybe pin: women, possibly Scarlett Johannson, possibly Jennifer Lawrence. Men, DEFINITELY Samuel L Jackson, possibly Patton Oswalt.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Ha! When Cornflake mentioned John Oliver, I remembered that I cannot tell the difference between his voice and that of his comedy partner Andy Zaltman on the radio. It's not so much accent as intonation.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Oh, this is a fun question. I'm crud when it comes to remembering names with faces, but if I hear a voice, that makes life a lot easier (then again, I spend a lot of time on phone calls with folks for work, so it's been a necessary skill I've learned. That and I'm just a sucker for distinctive voices.)

As for voices I'd know anywhere: Cate Blanchett, Angela Bassett, Betty White, Winona Ryder, Angela Lansbury, Julie Andrews, Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Toni Collette, Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, Laurence Fishburne, Hugh Jackman, Michael Fassbender, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Gerard Butler, Dick van Dyke, Seth MacFarlane, Ewan McGregor, Sam Elliott, Christopher Walken, James Earl Jones, Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, Donald Sutherland, Jeremy Irons, Christian Bale, John Rhys-Davies, Hugo Weaving, Jeff Goldblum.

(...yeah, um, so about that 'three each'...*runs away*)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I've twice had people who have met me in person recognize me by my voice when meeting me again (after a long time) in person... fwiw

"I wasn't sure if it I recognized you, but when I heard your voice then I knew"

I don't know if that is something that happens to everybody or if that's unusual.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Christina Hendricks, Lindsay Lohan, Zooey Deschanel and Gillian Anderson all have pretty distinctive voices, I reckon.

Edit: And to answer your first question - Julia Roberts.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lauren Bacall - that dates me for sure, but yes, a most distinctive voice in its own class. :snoopy:

MontyBurr

Registered
Reaction score
I'm very thankful

Yoiks and huzzah! :yessmiley

I’m inundated with voices that will haunt my second book. Thanks to all! I don’t know if I can keep a tally on this message by repeatedly editing it. Will this annoy? I’m too new here to attempt the “Multi-Quote” technique to thank you all. So – Thank you all!

To Cornflake: Your ear is too good. I had to cherry pick. “Why not Rosanne?” Because her voice sounds like two skateboards in heat. I caught her standup routine in Denver back when. Only Selma Diamond made my teeth itch more. I’m adding Mindy Kaling, Holly Hunter, and Sarah Vowell. I’d recognize Jon Hamm on the phone but I’m not sure about Jackman or Reeves. One particular suggestion resonated: Allison Janney. I’d pay good money to listen to her read a Belgian phone directory. [EDIT 4-3-19 15:24] You added Emma. Good one.

To Gillhoughly: “Laurel Bacall. In a class by herself. Period.” You Sir, are a gentleman of fine breeding and taste. If your avatar is Lee Marvin I’m shocked, shocked I say, why Lee hasn’t come up yet.

To Maggie Maxwell: Samuel Jackson certainly. Patton Oswalt as well.

To Tiddlywinks: I read most of your superb list before your animated avatar triggered a seizure requiring a grilled cheese sandwich. Your ear rivals Cornflake. My ear can sign off on Betty White, Angela Lansbury, Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, Laurence Fishburne, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Dick van Dyke, Seth MacFarlane, Ewan McGregor, Sam Elliott, Christopher Walken, James Earl Jones, Donald Sutherland, Jeremy Irons, John Rhys-Davies, and Jeff Goldblum. Any omissions may be because I’m unfamiliar with some of your suggestions.

To Ajaye: “Alan Rickman” I say “Oh Yes!” [EDIT 4-3-19 17:00] As far as Grant and Hepburn, of course. I don't want to retreat too far into the past and the roster of those who have passed on. I'd have included Mae West, W.C. Fields, Stan and Ollie etc. Would someone buying my book have to do a search for the characters to understand the premise? Of course, all of the names on the list will be unknown in a generation.

To Layla Nahar: All voices are unique but some are more distinctive than others. Tell me what it was that tipped your acquaintance off. Was it your pitch, timbre, accent, or rhythm? (This is getting fascinating!)

To Ellis Clover: I’m on board with Christina Hendricks, Lindsay Lohan, Zooey Deschanel and Gillian Anderson. Of the four, Zooey gets the nod. You also confirmed Julia Roberts. We’ve got a copy of “Pretty Woman” in our cabinet. I’ll need to give another listen. Thanks

To Bufty: I could not agree more. I met Ms. Bacall briefly back in the late 60’s. I was tongue tied while she talked to my mother.

To Just Jeremy: Rosie Perez, Jenifer Tilly, Joan Cusack, James Earl Jones, Jeff Bridges and Marlon Brando. I know those voices. Nice lineup.

To Ironmikezero: I am in your debt. I haven’t seen the movie but the trailer had me hooked. When she imitated the creaky voice up talker, I almost signed up for Netflix. It’s at the local library. How I missed this one I’ll never know. I noticed that Lake is appearing in a TV series starting in April called "Bless This Mess" on ABC. I shall set the TIVO.

Follow up to Ironmikezero: I found the film at the local library and watched it on my trip. I was hoping for more good voice work but the plot wandered away from the voice. I thought Fred Melemed stole his scenes. The goode wyffe gave up in the steamroom scene.

To GirlsGottaWrite: [EDIT - 4-3-19 16:00] Turner and Alley for sure. I've had multiple hits on Roberts and must refresh my ears. Morgan Freeman, Bruce Willis, and Samuel L Jackson all fit the bill but Willis might slip past my notice if he called on the phone selling magazines. Thanks!

To Cobalt Jade:
"Nicole Kidman, Jane Curtin, Gilda Radner" I can go with the last two. Kidman without the accent doesn't ring the bell for me.

I've added Lee Marvin and Gilbert Gottfried to the list. I'll do a sort give a ranking in a few days. Thanks again all.

(I hope I haven't offended those from different countries where distinct voices are more common but not known to the American niche I'm tageting.)

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, didn't think of Gillian Anderson -- can pick her out of anything, but also David Duchovny, so this probably says more about my X-File history than anything else, but she does have a distinctive voice.

I thought of Emma Stone, who is also raspy as heck and I can pick out. Also Clooney, Steve Martin, John Goodman....

Keanu has a timbre and something... one of his early roles was a small part I didn't realize was young him until he spoke.

I love Bell, and that movie -- I have quoted a line about a squirrel more than once -- though I don't think I could identify her voice cold. She's a cat in Secret Life of Pets I didn't peg.

Last edited:

MontyBurr

Registered
Reaction score
I tried to take this to a Private Message but your box was full. I like the Jon Hamm reference. If you haven't seen it, take a look at the following:

https://youtu.be/WsJSRP7cZVo

"Don Draper says 'What' over on YouTube"

Great set of pipes that guy. "Get your taxes done and won." won't be my favorite Jon Hamm line. I can see him age well though.

Monty

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
Women: Kathleen Turner. I could also identify Julia Roberts and Kristie Alley, but I don't find their voices to have the same quality.

Men: Morgan Freeman, Bruce Willis, and Samuel L Jackson.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Going back a bit to nominate Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Monty - I didn't ask, you know? But I would guess it's a combination of timbre and accent. I'd say I have a warm timbre, my pitch might be a bit higher than average, I enunciate Very Clearly, and last I have a wee adenoidal thing that sometimes makes me sound like a little kid.