AW site is driving me insane!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Jeremy

Registered
Reaction score
I've now lost a couple of detailed lengthy responses to kind helpful people because my log in gets timed out. I log back in only to be confronted with blank pages, security pages and losing the replies in the process.

The site loads, and is, painfully slow, and the constant blank pages and security notice pages occur so regularly that it's getting to the point of being too hard.

I don't wish to sound ungrateful as this is a great resource, but...

Last edited:

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to do about the timing out, but have you tried restoring auto-saved content? That might recall some of the responses that you lost--there should be an option in the bottom-left of the text box?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Next time you log in, look for a box to check that says keep me logged in. You probably have to scroll down to see it.

I have had your experience on other forums and it makes me want to cry sometimes. Now on any forum if I have a post I put a lot of time into, I am in the habit of making a copy to the clipboard. You should do that before you hit reply with every post until the problem is resolved.

Another thing I do often is copy my clipboard to a text file so I can use the copy function without losing a post I still need to save.

Yes it is annoying. Can't do much about that. :D

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure what to do about the timing out, but have you tried restoring auto-saved content? That might recall some of the responses that you lost--there should be an option in the bottom-left of the text box?
Good point! A feature of this forum I love.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah it does autosave -- a little box appears when you re-open a reply window in the same thread saying 'restore auto-saved content?' to click... though if it's not recognizing you, it may not work, dunno.

Easiest would be to just ctrl-a then ctrl-c (or command obvs), before you hit post reply.

As to the site itself timing out and blank pages, the site was having an issue a while back but it seems to me to be fixed?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Jeremy

log off
clear your cache and cookies
Close all tabs and windows
Completely Quit your Web browser
log back in and click the small box on the top right that says Remember Me

The auto log off is tracked by a cookie. If you don't click Remember Me, it will log you off.

Regarding the "security notices," check your security settings; if you have them set too high, you will receive warnings because this is a twenty year old site, with lots of legacy posts using http:// in links instead of the "new" https://.

Avatars and images that are on member's own sites may not use https:// either; I suspect that's what's causing the security warnings.

Last edited:

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
What I do is write it in a Word document and paste it from there. Mostly that’s because some of my stuff is kept for my own records, but at least I never lose anything.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
I'd almost left AW entirely because of my frustration with technical site issues. I tried a new browser as a last resort. Kiwi Browser (on mobile devices) doesn't give me any of the problems that Firefox and Chrome do. Access on my desktop is limited, but I haven't lost any posts or hit white pages on Kiwi.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
It actually seems to me that since we recently dumped Google Adsense, the site does load faster and is more responsive -- but AW Admin has also done a ton of research regarding a newer and better platform that we're looking at very hard.

I'm also keenly aware that more people than ever before are browsing the site using phones and tablets, and VBulletin isn't the best, given that interface.

Thank you all for the input -- it really does help us a lot!

Last edited:

stuffguy

Registered
Reaction score
I was getting a bunch of 500 errors earlier today :( Then they randomly went away.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Our site has not been down, but if you try to access the site when the backup script is running, you'll likely have problems.

TrinaM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trinamalone.com
Thanks for having the information to support AW in your footer. I'd missed that before. Just tossed some money in the pot.

I've lost too many communities due to just this problem. An active community requires some powerful hosting. Without monetization, there's almost no way to keep it going!

Status
Not open for further replies.