Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I have a short story I’ve been trying to get published for a couple of months, with nothing to show for it but a handful of rejections thus far. But one of the hoppers I lobbed it into was the annual contest of the Columbia Journal, the lit-mag of Columbia University.

Yesterday I learned that my story was selected as one of three finalists, out of hundreds of submissions!

... I didn’t win. Columbia is not publishing my story. But they will name it on their website, and “we are very impressed by your outstanding work.”

It’s the sweetest disappointment, or the most bittersweet thrill, that a growing writer can ask for. I’m still finding my legs in this grand fiction experiment, and let me tell you - this external validation that I might not be so bad at it came at a very good time.

Now back to trying to find a home for that story.

:e2coffee:

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Lakey that's wonderful! Good for you.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! That must have given you a real lift. Congrats. :snoopy:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WOW. So many congratulations!

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
I have a short story I’ve been trying to get published for a couple of months, with nothing to show for it but a handful of rejections thus far. But one of the hoppers I lobbed it into was the annual contest of the Columbia Journal, the lit-mag of Columbia University.

Yesterday I learned that my story was selected as one of three finalists, out of hundreds of submissions!

... I didn’t win. Columbia is not publishing my story. But they will name it on their website, and “we are very impressed by your outstanding work.”

It’s the sweetest disappointment, or the most bittersweet thrill, that a growing writer can ask for. I’m still finding my legs in this grand fiction experiment, and let me tell you - this external validation that I might not be so bad at it came at a very good time.

Now back to trying to find a home for that story.

Congrats on being a finalist! At least that means you're on the right track.

Do they link to your website?

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aw! Love this story about your story! :ily:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Wow - congratulations Lakey! That's a really great thing!!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
That's great 'bad' news, Lakey. Congratulations!

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
:greenie
b.gif
a.gif
n.gif
a.gif
n.gif
a.gif
d.gif
a.gif
n.gif
c.gif
e.gif

n.gif
o.gif
w.gif
space.gif
space.gif
w.gif
i.gif
t.gif
h.gif
space.gif
space.gif
c.gif
o.gif
n.gif
g.gif
r.gif
a.gif
t.gif
u.gif
l.gif
a.gif
t.gif
i.gif
o.gif
n.gif
s.gif

:banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana:

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I keep thinking about it and being splendidly pleased with myself. If only I could find someone who would publish the damn thing.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I think honorable mentions still count as something you can put on your resume. Congrats!

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I think honorable mentions still count as something you can put on your resume. Congrats!

Thanks!

I was wondering about whether it counts. When I was looking up information about cover letters for submitting fiction, I saw at least one writer who said not to include contest finalist placings and honorable mentions, because all you're doing is saying "I failed to win such-and-such contest." I see the reasoning there. On the other hand, it seems like honorable mention in a relatively prestigious contest is more impressive than publication in a nothing journal, so I'm a bit torn.

It also might depend upon whether it's a cover letter for this particular story or for other stories -- "This story was a finalist in ABC Contest" seems considerably tackier to me than "Lakey has been published in XYZ journal, and was a finalist in ABC contest." What journal would want to be told they are getting Columbia's sloppy seconds? But that judgment of tackiness isn't based on any knowledge; at any rate I am still leaning toward leaving it out regardless.

(Incidentally, the story is still pending with half a dozen journals or so, but I am sure I will have to send it out for another round or two before all is said and done.)

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
And here’s my name in lights, on the Columbia Journal website (down under Fiction, finalists). This near-miss is just agonizing! I’m really delighted (and rather full of myself) but also just so frustrated that I haven’t yet managed to get this story published.

Status
Not open for further replies.