Looking For Help With Book Recommendations

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, its been a while, and haven't written for much of that time. I'm looking for help for books that are more political in dimension that blood-and-mud stuff that seems to dominate the bookshelves these days (preferably late Mediaeval, if Scottish even better), to help get the creative juices flowing again. I'm think along the lines of I, Claudius and Wolf Hall. I've been recommended Sharon Penman and will look back to Nigel Tranter as well.

Any other ideas?

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... maybe Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles and The House of Niccolò series?

Not Medieval or anything, but Mary Renault's Alexander the Great trilogy (Fire from Heaven, The Persian Boy, Funeral Games) is also pretty good when it comes to politics.

I love Kate O'Brien's That Lady, but I realize it might be not everyone's cuppa. It's set in 16th century Spain, so not Medieval either.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I adore Dorothy Dunnett's books; The Lymond Chronicles* are spectacular, but they're 16th century.

Dorothy Dunnett's King Hereafter*, about Macbeth as a [quasi] historical figure is absolutely medieval, very political, and quite lovely.

*AW Amazon affiliate link.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Nicola Griffith’s Hild is semi-historical, set in 7th-century England, and has a lot of interesting political machination in it - it’s about Hild of Whitby, the niece of Edwin of Northumbria, and the spreading of Christianity across Britain. There is some blood and guts in it but battles and military history are not the focus.

I heartily second the recommendation of Mary Renault’s Alexander series. They are just awesome and every writer of historical fiction should read them anyway. :)

Also classical rather than Medieval, but Gore Vidal’s Julian is another great historical with a focus on politics, religion, and philosophy rather than troop movements and battles. It’s about Julian, the nephew of Constantine who, when he became Emperor of Rome, tried to roll back Constantine’s adoption of Christianity and restore the old Gods. It’s written in diary and letter form. Toward the end Julian gets Alexander-ish ideas (delusions?) and does go out on conquest, but again the particulars of the battles are not the focus or the point.

:e2coffee:

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
One more recommendation – not fiction and not Medieval either, but it just oozes politics & intrigue: Memoirs by Duc de Saint-Simon. It's hilarious too, and very, very educational.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, will check out all those books. I have read Renaults Alexander books, but what a great excuse to read them again! :hooray:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Not quite your period, but 'Ruled Britannia' by Harry Turtledove is an alternative-history of Britain, in which Spain conquered Elizabeth I's England, and is ruling it while an aging Elizabeth languishes in the Tower (the reason Philip II of Spain keeps her alive makes sense).
The actual plot is about, well, plotting: QE's faithful advisors are planning to start an uprising against the invaders, after years of Spanish rule. They decide that William Shakespeare's the man to write the play that will set England aflame. Shakespeare is also commissioned by the Spanish to write a commemorative play about Philip II, who is on his deathbed.
Told from Shakespeare's POV, there is much quoting of Shakespeare, as noted in the end-notes, as the two plays are mash-ups of other Shakespearean plays.
There are appearances by both Cecils, Kit Marlowe, and Lope de Vega, a historic Spanish playwright.

There is a fair bit of bloodshed near the end, but it's generally from the POV of the characters involved, not just giant set-pieces.

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
Zoe Oldenbourg's The Crusades, if that's a time period that interests you.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
CJ Sansom's Shardlake series is excellent. They feature a lawyer who gets intricately involved in the highly charged political machinations during the reign of Henry VIII, which could be quite deadly. There are seven novels in the series so far and each of them is a excellent read.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
I hate you all.

I must have a dozen tbr books in my house, and you've just given me a dozen more. The suggestions sound awesome!

That Lady -- I adore this book. It's a strange love triangle, normally not my thing at all. But it's got enough intrigue to balance things out. And a protagonist who lost her eye in a duel -- what's not to love?

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Just about any of Cecelia Holland's historical novels would fit the bill for you. My personal favorite is The Great Maria.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Old - but the Brother Cadfael series are nicely done. Mystery novels set in the 12th century with a monk as investigator

rgroberts

Registered
Reaction score
Another great series that is huge on history and politics is Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series. Not quite medieval (it covers Marius through Augustus) but absolutely amazing.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding the CJ Sansom Shardlake series--they're addictive. Also--Sharon Kay Penman's Welsh Princes trilogy (which delves into the reigns of Henry III and Edward I).

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Another great series that is huge on history and politics is Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series. Not quite medieval (it covers Marius through Augustus) but absolutely amazing.

I was going to suggest this too! The best was truly the first book, First Man in Rome, with The Grass Crown a close second. I absolutely loved the shifting rivalry between two such ambitious men: Marius - the brilliant, wealthy tactician without a family name, and the brilliant, ruthless Sulla, an impoverished nobleman. Strong women characters too.