Should chapters begin AND end on the viewpoint character?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing an alternating point-of-view book. Viewpoint alternates by chapter.

So I've sort of naturally figured out (a long time ago) to start each chapter with a very clear clue of whose viewpoint we're in. Often the character's name is in the first sentence, or it's a snatch of their dialog.

I never gave that sort of attention to the end of the chapter, but I'm going through some more beta comments and this reader suggests doing that too. Like bookends--ending every chapter with a thought, word, or action from the viewpoint character rather than from a secondary character.

Is that a memo that I missed? Does her advice sound right to you?

/puzzled.

Patty

Thanks!

Last edited:

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I used to write 3rd person, multiple POV's, and for all the research I did, I never heard that advice either.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
I've never thought about it but now that I do, I don't see why there should be such a stiff rule. I'd imagine if a chapter describes how MC is spying on their neighbour through binoculars and the chapter ends with a description of what the neighbour is doing, then that will be perfectly fine. I don't see why such a thing will be a no-no.

Ok, I just grabbed the nearest book and the first chapter breaks that rule, so....

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing an alternating point-of-view book. Viewpoint alternates by chapter.

So I've sort of naturally figured out (a long time ago) to start each chapter with a very clear clue of whose viewpoint we're in. Often the character's name is in the first sentence, or it's a snatch of their dialog.

I never gave that sort of attention to the end of the chapter, but I'm going through some more beta comments and this reader suggests doing that too. Like bookends--ending every chapter with a thought, word, or action from the viewpoint character rather than from a secondary character.

Is that a memo that I missed? Does her advice sound right to you?

/puzzled.

Patty

Thanks!

I can see how it makes sense to point the reader in the next direction, so to speak, from the POV character's perspective bearing in mind the story progression through the chapter and I've normally done that in closing a chapter, but I can't say I consciously tried to apply any rule in doing so. Didn't know there was such a 'rule' or guideline, to be honest - just seems to make sense in most chapters.

As always, I guess content and storyline might affect how any particular chapter ends, and I can see how a chapter could easily end on a secondary character's action or dialogue.

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's totally not necessary to end a chapter with the POV character, or to think of the ending of a chapter as dependent in any way on how the chapter started, or indeed to apply any general rule whatsoever to it.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

/puzzled.

Yeah, I'm puzzled, too.

If you have only one viewpoint character in a chapter, then however the chapter ends, it's still in the POV of that character, even if a secondary character has the last word or action.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I can imagine is she might think I'm missing the opportunity to show a reaction by the viewpoint character, but in some cases the reaction is not strong tea and best left unshown.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
There is no need to start a chapter with the VP character's name being used. It's a useful hack, but gets old, fast.

When I did such a book it was:

............... Chapter One

Jones

(Opening paragraph from Jones's POV)

................. Chapter Two

Smith

Opening paragraph, Smith's POV)

There's nothing wrong using a character's name as you're doing, but as an editor, it is something that jumps out at me. Doing it for every single new chapter and the repetition is too easily noticed.

You do not need to use the character's name in an ending paragraph of a chapter. Assume the reader is able to keep up.

This device was also handy for when a viewpoint change was needed in mid-chapter, without a full chapter break. It had to do with pacing. I like to put 1-2 plot points per chapter, and this gave me flexibility on chapter length.

Last edited:

Charles Windsoap

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there's any hard and fast rule here. But as a reader, I prefer figuring out whose eyes I'm looking through. It only takes a sentence or two, and it adds a bit of fun. Also, if you are alternating between only two viewpoints, your reader should figure that pattern out very quickly. (I hope!)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah--the pattern is obvious.

I suppose we can all get confused, especially when tired or out of sorts, so... it is what it is. It sounds like I'm not missing anything obvious. Thanks all!

Last edited:

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
I would think that most chapters would naturally begin and end on the "viewpoint character," but I could see instances where that would not be the case, although I can't think of any off the top of my head. :lol

DeeDub

Registered
Reaction score
One quick thought- ask your Beta why she thinks this bookend idea would be a good thing for your story. You mention this was expressed in the comments, so shoot 'em a note or better yet call.

She may say "Oh, I just kept forgetting whose pov this or that chapter was" (read: you may want to revisit the narrative in those chapters) or "Oh, I start to wonder if we're hearing another character's voice now in the same chapter" (read: your characters may talk too similarly, maybe that needs a fix) or "Oh, my dog thinks it's a clever idea" (read: keep sharp objects away from her and find another Beta).

If you get an interesting answer, I'd be curious to hear it...

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I can imagine is she might think I'm missing the opportunity to show a reaction by the viewpoint character, but in some cases the reaction is not strong tea and best left unshown.

It's possible that the beta reader did feel something was missing in the chapter endings but offered the wrong diagnosis.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's possible that the beta reader did feel something was missing in the chapter endings but offered the wrong diagnosis.

That's possible. I also wonder what her exact comment was.