Query Question

The Never-Ending Sea

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! Not exactly sure if this is the right area to post this, but here we go. I'm currently building and burning down query letters left and right for an adult fantasy book I've finished, and I was wondering if fantasy queries tend to have blockier text blurbs to convey the sense of the world? I'm trying to strike a balance between getting the premise across and revealing a little about the world (relevant to the premise) to make it stand out. The query, as it stands at this very second, is 260 words including the intro and bio. My only concern is that there's a sizable middle paragraph (129 words) which might make an agent's eyes glaze over. Is it kosher to break paragraphs apart or is this a "write a better query, you amateur" moment?;)

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The short answer is: it depends.

At 260 words, your query doesn't sound overlong, and it may be that your "big block" is written crisply enough that its size isn't going to matter. It's difficult to say without actually seeing it, so I suggest you visit and engage around the forum until you accrue the necessary 50 post minimum to start your own thread in the Query Letter Hell section of the Share Your Work subforum. Password for the subforum is "vista." Other eyes on your query can help give you perspective on it.

Be sure to read the stickies for QLH before posting. You're welcome to add your own crits to existing threads before you post your own; in fact, it's a great way to familiarize yourself with standard query formatting while building up to that 50 post minimum.

(And alas - no, this isn't the right subforum for this thread. A mod will probably be along shortly to move it.)

Last edited: