You really know what you're talking about...

MinaJane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.minajanemadeleyauthor.com
Just stopping by quickly to let you know that after following the advice of pretty much everyone on this forum to go through SYW, critique others' work, etc... I went back to my story hoping to catch a few things I could improve, only to realize that the 1st two pages of my 1st chapter are practically a big info-dump.

I re-read it so many times, and I never saw it before. So, yeah, you guys really know what you're talking about (not that I doubted it), and thank you!

Back to work!! :snoopy:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And that, my friends, is class. Not only does MinaJane now see a weakness in her work, but she took the time to let people know their advice and wisdom was applied and appreciated.

We like you!

Just Jeremy

Registered
Reaction score
I've spent the last few days trawling through SYW (screenwriting)where I found mostly the same few individuals taking a great deal of time to critique the work of others even when their efforts weren't acknowledged or worse. These people continue to offer great advice to new writers when others might have considered themselves unappreciated and stopped. dpaterso, cornflake, LittlePinto and others, your efforts ARE greatly appreciated by those like myself who gain knowledge even when it's not our work being critiqued. Thank you.

Bravo

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just Jeremy, I know the thread you're talking about and admired the same thing. I kind of doubt any of those people is likely to see this, but if you want to make their days, you can send them a reputation point (the six-pointed star under their name and avatar at the left of each post) or a visitor message saying what you said here. Even the seasoned veterans like to know people appreciate their efforts.

Maryn, collecting terrific new people

Just Jeremy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Maryn. I hadn't as yet worked out how to give reps. These seasoned veterans who continually take time out to critique other people's work most certainly don't get the acknowledgement they deserve.

In your debt, at your service.

Kbars

Registered
Reaction score
The people who review others work are actually quite clever. I am new here and have done only one review of another's work. I saw minor errors in that authors work that I did not even realize that I as an author was doing myself! If anyone is even remotely wanting to improve their craft I suspect that reviewing the work of others work is the best way you can improve your own.

Looking at someones works and finding what that...er...works is helpful. But finding on your own, what doesn't work is essential!

Last edited: