Northerners and the North

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my fantasy novel, people from the north of the world are collectively referred to as northerners, and "the north" is occasionally referred to as well as a catch-all term for everything, well, north of the particular kingdom in the novel. Usually derisively.

What I want to know is: should northerner and north be capitilized throughout? I think it should, as the southern in Southern hospitality is, or Northern forces in referring to the American Civil War. But I'm not sure.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You have some flexibility. I have the same issue in my novel, with latecomers to the colony being called tressers. Then there are the class divides: owners, know-profs, and labor. The original colonists are called Founders.

Just look for some examples in real life. I decided to use Founders as their official name, like Americans. But tressers (short for trespassers) is more like undocumented aliens so I chose to make that a label rather than a proper noun. The same with the class divides, they're not formal names but rather references to groups of people like you might call farmers or teachers.

But I could have made them formal names and it wouldn't have been wrong.

Look at how the South is used and people in the south and follow suit.

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
8.46 (16th ed) of the CMoS offers this:

the South, southern, a southerner (of a country), [but] the South, Southern, a Southerner (in American Civil War contexts).

Last edited:

SmartWater Ph.D.

Registered
Reaction score
General rule of thumb:

Direction or people - don't capitalize. (go north, a northerner.)

Region - capitalize. (the North, the West)

Alden

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Northerner needs to be capitalized.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a north-westerner from southern Montana who now lives in central Oregon.
I've been in this fight :guns:before and learned no advice on directional capitalization pleases everyone.

In fact, capitalization is a slippery slope generally making people crazy. :crazy: