Stephen King's Scariest Book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonnythesnowball

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I just finished reading Carrie, which is not very impressive.

But my goodness Salem's Lot shit the living hell out of me, and so did IT. Anyone know anything better?

I'm kinda new to Stephen King, but i think I will start reading more of his work.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
IT tops my list for his scariest — After all these years, I still won't walk anywhere near a storm drain.

I guess I'd recommend The Shining next. It was scary enough . . . 'cause people closest to you.

Sonnythesnowball

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Ari!

I must say, The Shining didn't translate well on the big screen, I thought it was an awful movie.

But I think I will give the book a chance nonetheless!

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome, Sonny. I hope you like it.

I'm pretty much the same way about movie versions of favorite books. I think it might be because of some of the constraints (time and visuals) on filmmakers and the need to trade off action for atmosphere. I should think about that some more to be sure, though.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
While acknowledging King's brilliance, I'm not a fan. I read everything up to the first 100 pages of The Tommyknockers and had no interest if any character lived or died.

That being said, King has written passages, scenes, and single sentences that made me want to toss my laptop into the Niagara Gorge:

The Stand: The recording artist's long, dark, terrifying walk through the dead body-stuffed Lincoln Tunnel.
Cell: The crazed reaction of people right after the EMP. I was freaked out.
Children of the Corn: Early on, when the MCs were arguing in the car and the wife got out and set her suitcase on the road. The way he described the image of the suitcase on the long, empty road hedged in by cornfields... brilliant.
1408: Grab the audiobook. King reads this story. He's not a voice actor and it shows, but when the MC is locked in the haunted room, King knows exactly how he wants this half of the story to worm into the listener's ear. (I'm also NOT a John Cusak fan, but he was perfect in the movie.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.