Any advice for an adult sci-fantasy that starts off with a feel of MG?

coffeehunter

Registered
Reaction score
Update: I don't feel the question is as important now to me, as it is the story that matters, but if anyone has any thought I'll still be glad to read it.

The question in short:
Imagine Rotterdam in 'Ender's Shadow' by Card. Then pretend the first few chapters of Rotterdam felt MG to you with a kid near 12 as the adult age in the world. The rest of the book gets more adulty. Would the initial MG feel be fine as is to you as the reader? Or would it need to be spiced up early to make the distinction clear to you (even the agent) this is correctly an adult novel? Am I thinking too much?

The good things:
I feel the reader has a good emotional connection early on with the MC. The reader also knows a little foreshadowing of what is to come. I guess the back-of-the-book blurb will help, too. I feel if the reader wants to read about an initial kid and interesting theme, then one might be fine with the initial MG feel. There's more MG'ish chapters later, too, but the theme is still throughout with adulty content stronger in one chapter than the other. I still think the theme holds it all together.

Last edited:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused as to what you mean by MG feel.

I may be misinterpreting your question. An adult novel isn't adult solely because the characters are over 18. I've read adult novels with MCs who are children (Room, Life of Pi, The Kite Runner come to mind), but they are still definitely adult stories, not because of nudity, sexuality, cursing, etc, but bc of the focus of the story and the story itself.

coffeehunter

Registered
Reaction score
Interiority, level of language, tone, and the overall presentation

All sound right, but I guess interiority is still at a minimal. It feels more action-oriented. I think it's improving but I don't add interior thoughts just for the sake of having interior thoughts. I do when it feels relevant. For example, it's not like Ender's Shadow where there's a few pages of interior thought from a four year old. I'd be lucky to write a paragraph of interior thought before I move the plot forward. But it may be something to work on.