My Computer Says AW Forums Are Not Secure

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I came here for help because you guys always help me, and you're so amazing.
I'm having a bit of a problem. My computer lets me browse and post in AW forums, but in all five of my internet browsers, the site is marked as "not secure". A month ago, my computer wouldn't let me enter the forums at all. Am I the only one with this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.
maggiee19.

mikeofmany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mikeofmany.net
Maggiee,

What web protection/malware/Anti-virus programs are you running? Is this a computer at home, or on a business or college network?
It is true, the AW forums are not completely secured, and depending on what settings are on the host computer or network-that can affect if you will be able to get to the site at all without some fiddling.

For myself, I see that the forums do not force encryption of every element presented: so the adverts to other sites, many of the banners that people use are not passed with the AW certificate. These are all being presented without security.

I also know at work, the AW site itself was re-categorized by our proxy server and blocked for a few days a couple months ago. Once someone fixed that.. getting to it from work was good again.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. Thank you so much for your responses. I did what Ari Meermans suggested and it's still saying it's not secure, but it's OK. As long as my computer doesn't block me from entering the site, I'm going to be okay.

You guys are the best!
-m

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Maggiee,

What web protection/malware/Anti-virus programs are you running? Is this a computer at home, or on a business or college network?

The only protection I'm using is Windows Defender, on a laptop at home, on a home network.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
maggiee, I see you wrote this is happening on five browsers. Have you gone into your settings and set AW up as an exception in the security section (it's a bit different for each browser).

ETA: Just want to add that it's safe to set AW as an exception since the site does not collect personal data nor do we process financial transactions here.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
There are images loading in member's sigs and profiles that are not served from https://; they are on sites AW does not control.

Other than continuing to ask members to make sure they update their sigs, which I do, there's nothing I can do about that.

But the presence of http:// vs https:// in links or images will cause sensitive security settings to flag a site.

Status
Not open for further replies.